This really is a step forward for OpenServer

Story: SCO OpenServer 6 Pushes Unix Line ForwardTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
sbergman27

Jun 23, 2005
2:46 PM EDT
Hey, I dislike the current SCO company and management as much as anyone. But as someone with a largely SCO Xenix/Unix/OpenServer background, it is kinda nice to see this product get some much needed attention. After Old SCO "bought Unix" (whatever it was that they bought) back in 1995 or whenever, they focused their attention on the SYSVR4 kernel, which was much more sophisticated than OpenServer's, and neglected OpenServer. It stagnated. For example, to this day, the buffer cache is allocated statically at boot time using a very simple "rule of thumb" calculation. As memory pressure increases, the system *must* page. When there is plenty of free memory available, it does no good. There is no dynamically allocating or reclaiming memory from the buffer cache.

If I understand correctly, they are now using the UnixWare kernel in OpenServer. Cool.

Also, they are finally including stuff like Samba, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Apache in the core OS. And a JVM that is not even obsolete, yet.

I switched my focus to Linux back in 1995, but I still have a few clients that run old versions of OpenServer. When it's time for them to upgrade, it will be to Centos, so I doubt I'll actually be seeing OpenServer 6. But it's still nice to know that OpenServer, which really was a great OS in its day (with a stability that rivals or even beats Linux), is getting a much needed renovation.

And besides, we get the satisfaction of seeing that even FLOSS's enemies find that it is in their best interest to use open-source software in their products, even though I'm sure they would prefer not to have to do so publicly.
tuxchick

Jun 23, 2005
6:16 PM EDT
And besides, we get the satisfaction of seeing that even FLOSS's enemies find that it is in their best interest to use open-source software in their products, even though I'm sure they would prefer not to have to do so publicly.

Good point. My first reaction was WTF who cares, sheesh, just crawl back under your rock. But as you say there are some good things here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!