mariuz

Jun 28, 2005
10:32 PM EDT
yah shock ;)
tadelste

Jun 29, 2005
5:13 AM EDT
cjcox:

I fell helplessly on my sword in February.

Author's Slam Sun's Open Source Strategy

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/...

But if you insist, I'll do it again.

Only, don't gloat. They did make a significant investment and went for it. No one believed them - including the Chinese.

Also, don't forget that their original Linux team walked off.

r_a_trip

Jun 29, 2005
8:04 AM EDT
Figures. Sun is a proprietary company. Their two faced public appearance is just a guise to hide the fact that they really would like to be able to forget about FOSS.

Sun doesn't care if they have to lure customers with free and open goodies, like specs and (non-crucial) software under lenient licensing, as long as they can be sure to sell you the Sun Fix.

If they can get you locked to their products, which they control, the freebies payed off. If Sun has to give some bait to hook you, they will.

If you ask them to be truly open and cooperative, they will smile at you, tell you a lot of BS about how really, really open they are and then they silently shriek within with fear and hatred about the notion of giving up ultimate control.
cjcox

Jun 29, 2005
8:53 AM EDT
Tom,

Wasn't aimed at you.. I know you know now... but there's still a lot of others still engaged in Sun worship.

In all fairness, I have a fairly good technical relationship with some Sun folks... but we probably do watch each other with a suspicious eye :)
tadelste

Jun 29, 2005
10:12 AM EDT
Chris,

Thanks!

sbergman27

Jun 29, 2005
10:14 AM EDT
Well, I'm not really a Sun worshipper. But, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. Sun is many things. They are aggravating, arrogant, brilliant in their own way, in total disarray (civil war may or may not be a more appropriate phrase), and have the potential to either become a good member of the community, ala IBM, or to turn into another Caldera/SCO. If I had to guess, I would say that they will eventually be forced to be a good member of the community. Despite their rhetoric, their actions are suggesting that they see the handwriting on the wall, and will eventually straighten up and fly right. (And no, I'm not a Kreskin. :-)

Yes, some people see the open sourcing of Solaris as a trojan horse. I say that market forces are forcing them, reluctantly, to do the right thing, regardless of any present ulterior motives.

As to desktop Linux. Well, Sun has a long history of flubbing the desktop. It has never been their forte, and it's probably well that they stick to the server, which they no doubt do very well.

And I have to ask, where would the corporate Linux desktop be today without the primary contributor to Openoffice.org? There is plenty not to like about Sun. They may be doing a very embarrassing job of talking the talk. But they are actually begining to get the walk right.

Oops. Gotta go, or I'll be late for my appointment at the Solar Temple. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!