PClinuxOS X Server problem

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
varahan

Jul 03, 2005
1:07 AM EDT
I installed PClinuxOS on my P III/500 Mhz/128 MB RAM/Samtron 45B monitor/810 chipset. Installation in GUI mode went flawlessly but when I rebooted , I could not get GUI window. I tried to startx and got the error msg "no screens found". There was no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I tried the following: service dm stop XFdrake service dm start

Still the problem persists.

Please guide me. A detailed error msg is here: Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once only module) GART Init: unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file / directory) (EE) I 810 (0) : AGP GART support is not available ( EE ) Screens found, but non ehave usable configuration. Fatal server error : no screens found XIO : fatal IO error 104 ( connection reset by peer) on x server ":0.0"

Boovarahan S vichula@gmail.com
helios

Jul 03, 2005
4:08 AM EDT
Before you get absolutely hammered for asking a question here, let me help you.

When you boot the computer, you will come to the screen where you choose which OS you want to boot to. Obviously PCLinuxOS will be a choice. When at this screen, hit escape. It should take you to a black screen with nothing but a BOOT: prompt. At this Prompt, type without the quotes: "pclinuxos acpi=ht" and hit enter. If that doesn't work, email me: helios@lobby4linux.com. In fact, even if it does work, email me because we have to alter your xorg.conf file.

helios
helios

Jul 04, 2005
5:17 AM EDT
Ah...silly me, the answer was right in front of me and I missed the obvious. PCLinuxOS NEEDS 256 meg of ram to run. It just will not perform otherwise. This may have saved you a disappointment because if your X did start, it would have run like syrup on a Vermont February morning.

128 meg of sdram 50.00

decent nvidia card 130.00

Colorful prose mentioning Vermont:

Priceless

h
Abe

Jul 04, 2005
6:56 AM EDT
I had a similar problem. I went on google and did a search under "pclinuxos gui problem", there were quite a few hints and tips. What I tried first and worked for me was to run XFdrake. It will select all settings for you and all you have to do is accept what you like. Keep in mind that when I ran the LiveCD first. It detected every thing and worked flawlessly, but when I installed to HD, it came up in terminal mode. When I ran startx, it failed. After running XFdrake, it worked fine. Also I had a problem with automatic network configuration. I have a cable router, MEPIS & Suse were configured automatically and worked flawlessly, Mandrake and PCLinuxOS didn't, but both had the same problem which I was able to solve easily as described. Good luck.

You cannot post until you login.