Dear Open Source Community

Story: An open letter to the open source communityTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
incinerator

Jul 05, 2005
5:15 AM EDT
Dear Open Source Community,

we are old and unable to change ourselves in a world that is full of change. We suck. We don't know how to fight you. You are doing to well to be stoppable. We are afraid of you. Can't you just give up and lets us take away your freedom and your money? We'll take care about everything, promise.

Sincerely, Microsoft & Sun
dinotrac

Jul 05, 2005
6:46 AM EDT
Ummmm....

Out here in the real world, lots of us are trying to inject FOSS into our work environments every time the opportunity presents itself.

Why does this bother you?

I ask that question because it must bother you greatly. You see, to actually use something in the workplace, it has to do the job for you. The boss, and certainly the boss's boss, may not share your enthusiasm for free software. They do, however, like things that lower costs and improve service. That's the kind of thing that leads to raises and promotions.

And that's the rub. Some things will help us to do that more and better. Somebody mentions a few of them, and you take offense. I presume that you don't like the idea of corporations using FOSS. Personally, I don't care, and for selfish reasons. The folks who hire are most likely to be part of a corporation. I love using FOSS and I like to use it where I work.

So, I guess, the point of this whole rant, is to say screw you. I think it's good for all kinds of organizations to use FOSS. The more the merrier -- and the less we all are at the mercy of propietary software. And -- oh yeah -- you're as free to ignore suggestions from corporate users as we are to make them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!