The Statistics Are Meaningless.

Story: One fifth of Japanese businesses using open source OSTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jul 05, 2005
5:13 PM EDT
Web survey with an unknown total, with no break down on distribution of responses by industry. Moreover, not a hint of the estimated error nor a hint of the techniques employed. In the U.S. companies I have seen are very closed mouth about using Linux.
mdl

Jul 06, 2005
5:21 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs: "In the U.S. companies I have seen are very closed mouth about using Linux."

Why do you think this is so? Do you think companies are just keeping a low profile to not attract attention from the BSA? I would think the threat of a BSA audit could have a chilling effect if used to threaten companies moving towards FOSS software, but unable to make a complete switch.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 06, 2005
5:55 AM EDT
Sorry cannot speculate.

But consider this: read a published article saying Linux was going to take over a business. Checking internally with someone having contacts - denied that it was even possible. Not too long afterward, ran across an internal group that was testing Linux, which soon rolled out into production. Even later, but only internally a high ranking official said Linux was the only route (do not read too much into that statement).

Despite all of this, we were given repeated warnings, that no information was to be imparted externally about applications, methods or tools.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!