emulation?

Story: Golden's Rules: Mixing Linux and WindowsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jimf

Jul 07, 2005
4:56 PM EDT
You forget to mention that many Windows programs will run under emulation on Linux. The wine project, winforlin and crossover office all run many common windows programs quite handily.
helios

Jul 07, 2005
5:39 PM EDT
Yes Jim, which alludes to the problem the author conveniently forgot to mention. Viruses, adware, trojans, spyware and worms. With the best of every security feature I could get in a windows environment, my network was still breached and it almost bankrupted me. So, Am I an all or nothing Linux User...You bet your c:/program files I am. This guy acted as if these security issues did not exist. Appears to me to be a head-in-the-sand shill to me...To take a line from Dennis Miller...but I could be wrong.

helios
tuxchick

Jul 07, 2005
6:31 PM EDT
The major points of entry for malware in winduz are aaaiiIEEEE, Lookout, and Lookout Express. Replace those with FOSS products and a sizable number of exploits are taken care of. And keep in mind that a gentle introduction to the FOSS universe is a good thing. Users are nervous and scaredy- to most folks computers are voodoo, so one must take baby steps.
Koriel

Jul 08, 2005
7:59 AM EDT
To right they are Tuxchick

Spent 6 hours last week cleaning up a friends laptop, get this it took 17 minutes to boot up, i kid you not, before i could actually get the mouse to move although very sluggishly, at this point i told him that i was going to replace his email app, browser, office app, and remove spamessenger, orrifice, lookout depress and internet exploiter and under no circumstances was he to attempt to use any of them again or he could take his laptop back in its current condition ie. unuseable :) He agreed so the next six hours was spent applying spy removal tools, virus scanners, regcleaners, updates, installs of OOffice, firefox, thunderbird, zonealarm, antivir and importing his data. He left my place a happy bunny, but i told him not to comeback with it if he broke any of my conditions and just take it to PC World and pay them to fix it and probably lose his data with it as i explained the s_h_itty concept of the and i use this phrase in its loosest sense "Windows Recovery CD" to him.

Totally offtopic but hey nevermind :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!