Sigh. Not the file format, not Linux...

Story: Linux Compression Format Flaw FoundTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 09, 2005
8:33 AM EDT
The flaw is in the code for zlib, caused by a buffer overflow under some circumstances.

Patches are available.

Zlib, BTW, is not Linux and is not even Linux-specific.
sbergman27

Jul 09, 2005
9:45 AM EDT
Dean,

You are just being unfair. While they were not 100% accurate, they did make it very clear that while the zlib open source project had not released a patch, the commercial Linux vendors, such as Debian, FreeBSD, Gentoo, and OpenBSD have already updated their distributions with version-specific fixes.

And very quickly, I might add. After all, when you buy the product instead of freeloading, that's the kind of support you are paying for, right?

-Steve

TxtEdMacs

Jul 09, 2005
1:39 PM EDT
sbergman27 - Debian, FreeBSD and OpenBSD "commercial"!???? Since when? Did they have an IPO last night and I missed bidding. How could I have let that opportunity go by and not buy into the Free Consortium? How? How? ;-)

I have no idea, if Gentoo is commercial, but the others are not, though you could buy a boxed set for FreeBSD. Just goes to show you those long haired, bearded, fuzz haired, hippie high school types will beat most commercial types any day of the week!
dinotrac

Jul 09, 2005
1:49 PM EDT
S & T --

Fair, Schmair.

T'ain't a Linux problem. T'ain't, t'ain't, t'ain't.

Other than that, they pretty much got the facts right, but I'm old, I'm broke, and I'm cranky.

So there.
sbergman27

Jul 09, 2005
2:39 PM EDT
TxtEdEmacs,

I'll address your questions in the order presented:

1. Yes. 2. Last night. 3. Yes. 4. Dunno. 5. Ditto. 6. Ditto.

Dean,

OK... OK. So maybe we can blame it on Theo? ;-)

-Steve

AnonymousCoward

Jul 09, 2005
7:27 PM EDT
sbergman27: Dean is right on the money. On top of those listed, MS-Windows machines using the native version of zlib (embedded in how many secret-sauce apps by now? given the licence, the only way you can know for sure is disassembly and examination) and/or CygWin are also vulnerable. Mac OS X also uses zlib in various places.

Definitely unfair to call it a Linux problem.
sbergman27

Jul 10, 2005
12:18 AM EDT
AnonymousCoward,

Speaking seriously for a moment, and just to be clear, I quite agree. In fact, it's not hard to imagine pieces of it having made their way into IE. Blaming it all on Linux was just one mistake in a very confused article.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!