AOL Broadband With Linux!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
kewl1uk

Jul 13, 2005
12:47 AM EDT
In the U.K. AOL Broadband as an ISP is a pretty good deal with prices comparable to other ISPs and with no download limits. The problem is of course that the AOL desktop needs to be accessed to login and the AOL desktop is only available for Windows. The answer for U.K. AOLers who want to migrate from Windows to Linux and still use their AOL Broadband connection is to get a router. The way it works is that the router logs in with its own AOL Screenname and password and is permanently connected and full-blown permanent Internet access is achieved without the necessity to login through the AOL desktop! Ok the AOL desktop is lost but that's something of a blessing!
sabre307

Nov 08, 2005
6:31 PM EDT
AOL is a virus. It embeds itself in your operating system, takes over your computer, and is virtually impossible to completely remove from the system. My advice to everyone I encounter is "Avoid AOL at all cost!". Unless they offered me a terrabit connection for $5 a month with no contract, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Pay more for the other ISPs... You'll be happier!
jimf

Nov 08, 2005
7:03 PM EDT
"AOL is a virus."

One of the nastier ones .
tuxchick

Nov 08, 2005
7:30 PM EDT
I have to agree. When Windows users switch to a different service provider, the entire networking stack has to be removed and re-installed. Usually you can do it surgically, but I've had to do some wipe-n-reinstalls as well. Very nasty indeed.

However, kewl1uk's plan means sacrificing only a single box to AOHell. Not a bad scheme.
Robert_Potter

Nov 17, 2005
2:22 PM EDT
Hey all!

I do living in USA and I can tell to you the AOL (American Online) is a bullshit. jimf's right because the AOL is a virus for the stupid people. kewl1uk wrote that the AOL is a pretty ISP in UK. I don't think so . . . how does it become to a pretty ISP with only a simple Dial-up service? When I moved to USA I was shocked when I realized that the 45% of people has a simple sux AOL dial-up service. Earthlink and other ISP are much better!!!
helios

Nov 17, 2005
2:45 PM EDT
For those of you who have passed my way while on this soapbox, I apologize...but it remains true. Not only is AOL a virus in its own right, it, in concert with MS, is responsible for the dumbing down of an entire generation of computer users.

A friend of mine used AOL for years because he lives in the country and could not get any other service...he actually had to be shown how to configure a pop3 mail account. It was sad really.

helios

You cannot post until you login.