Laying off the wrong people

Story: Novell plans European layoffsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
IGnatiusTFoobar

Aug 02, 2005
10:42 AM EDT
This is ridiculous. The Novell people in Europe (formerly SuSE) are where nearly ALL of Novell's current value resides. The people in the US comprise "old Novell" (you know, the Netware people) and what used to be Ximian -- in other words, the remnants of two completely worthless organizations.

They ought to fire Nat Friedman and Miguel de Icaza first, before cutting the people in Europe who actually add some value to the company.
Abe

Aug 02, 2005
1:18 PM EDT
I agree and I don't like it if that is what they are doing. Suse is my favorite distro. I always said it is the best all around desktop/server distro. May be they are getting rid of some of the old fat in the EU that has been "hanging" for a long time. I will wait and see how will the next Suse release turn out. Otherwise, PCLinuxOS/Kubuntu here I come.
cjcox

Aug 05, 2005
3:20 PM EDT
With OpenSUSE... there is now a great opportunity for a fork. I don't want to see SUSE die.. but arguably, SUSE died when Novell took over (shame).

My few buds (left) at SUSE still keep telling me that everything is "fine" and there are "no problems" at SUSE (Novell).

sbergman27

Aug 06, 2005
3:46 AM EDT
I've not seen anything that says that the Suse guys are affected. Surely Novell was an international company long before they bought Suse. And considering the facts that Novell is betting on Linux, specifically Suse Linux, and that Netware is in decline, I would think that the Suse people would be safe.
cjcox

Aug 06, 2005
9:35 PM EDT
sberg, you are probably right. But certainly there has been many changes (including loss of SUSE staff) since the Novell takeover. I'll admit, some by choice... but still, it's not something you want to see.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 08, 2005
8:49 AM EDT
Why is it every time I see this thread I think of the actions at OSDL keep coming to mind?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!