Suse Distro: Is there a change?

Story: Sources: Novell Plans to Open SuSE Linux Pro to CommunityTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Abe

Aug 03, 2005
7:53 PM EDT
After read the article, in my opinion, there is no change in licensing but I see good improvement in the offerings.

Suse always made their distro available on ftp servers. Any one could download directly from those servers. They had a small base ISO file which can be downloaded, burnt on CD, to boot and carry the installation over the network. The improvements started with Suse 9.3 when Novel added CD ISO files along with ISO for DVD. It is true that the FTP sites were always lagging behind the boxed offering, but that was not a big lag.

I think all that Novel is doing is improving the process and becoming more open. They are organizing their distro for the users to have all the download options and be able to easily upgrade the base system and all applications. Updating application wasn't that streamlined before and now it will be. Another thing they are doing is improving on the documentation which was not easy to find, follow, or use before.

I don't think they are following Red Hat's model, I think Novell's model is already better and they are just improving on its methods. We will still be able to purchase boxed Suse with support, but now we will have better service available to download and install our own if we chose to.

In my opinion, I find Suse to be the best distro all around. It needs improvement in the multimedia and application update/support areas. Due to proprietary material, they have been careful not to get in trouble. In the multimedia area, they could make scripts available for users to download/update codecs the same way they currently handle downloading fonts and Nvida drivers. In terms of application upgrades, they could easily utilize synaptics. If Novel get those two areas automated and simplified, I think Suse Linux (OpenSuse now) would be the best period.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!