women in tech, dweebs, and cool people

Story: Getting in touch with the feminine side of open sourceTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 08, 2005
12:03 PM EDT
I'm relatively new to computing, unlike y'all antique geekbeards who cut your teeth on abacuses and Eniacs and such. I picked up my first PC in 1993, a Mac II it was, or Mac ][ maybe, in typical silly Apple fashion. I experienced my share of idiot men who just can't handle dumb ole gurls invading their clubhouses, but for the most part it's been a great experience. Maybe being old and grumpy helps. :) My best mentors have mostly been men, and I'm very grateful to all the people who are so generous with their time and knowledge.

I'd like to see more events like this OSCON panel, because visible role models make a big difference. And maybe they can even do more than discussing women's problems and issues in tech, and just be high-profile geek women working on interesting projects.

My fave true-life personal clueless dood story: I was shopping at ENU, a good little computer shop west of Portland, Oregon. I was "assisted" by a young, inexperienced clerk who didn't let his lack of knowledge hamper his self-assurance. Poor lad, I know I was speaking good clear English, but it was like my words just bounced off his head. Or perhaps my loveliness distracted him. At any rate, with much effort I finally got it through his head that I did indeed know what I wanted, and I really did expect him to sell stuff to me.

The crowning touch came as I was leaving- he grabbed a computer magazine off a rack and gave it to me, explaining that it was a great magazine for noobs. When I opened it and showed him a Linux article that I had written, I wish to this day that I had been able to film his reaction. Jaw dropped, beet-reed blush, stammered something that might have been an apology, and ran away fast.

I hope that induced a lasting raising of his consciousness!
peragrin

Aug 08, 2005
4:47 PM EDT
Quoting:I was shopping at ENU, a good little computer shop west of Portland, Oregon. I was "assisted" by a young, inexperienced clerk who didn't let his lack of knowledge hamper his self-assurance. Poor lad, I know I was speaking good clear English, but it was like my words just bounced off his head. Or perhaps my loveliness distracted him. At any rate, with much effort I finally got it through his head that I did indeed know what I wanted, and I really did expect him to sell stuff to me.

We all know it was your loveliness that distracted him. Of course though you can find guys like that in many area's where women just don't work that often. I find it highly amusing to watch.

Quoting: I hope that induced a lasting raising of his consciousness!

You became his goddess in a hurry, and he was embarrassed to be in front of you. I won't say more.

Around here though you seem to fit in well enough. You even get Dinotrac to ignore his wife for a while :-) Of course that isn't a good thing but he is a guy and not always very bright when it comes to people. Then again that applies to myself as well.
dinotrac

Aug 08, 2005
7:04 PM EDT
Quoting:but he is a guy and not always very bright when it comes to people.

Make that not ever very bright...
tuxchick

Aug 08, 2005
7:10 PM EDT
Dangit, where's Paulie? This is a thread that cries out for his participation.

**sniff** he doesn't like us anymore.
peragrin

Aug 09, 2005
3:37 AM EDT
Quoting:Dangit, where's Paulie? This is a thread that cries out for his participation.

**sniff** he doesn't like us anymore.

His wife probably took away his computer for ignoring her.

PaulFerris

Aug 09, 2005
5:06 AM EDT
oh dear God!

I've been kind of overwhelmed, actually. Lots of stuff that I cannot discuss.

Peragrin, please don't bash Dinotrac, he can't take that much abuse.

Besides, that's _my_ job.

Tuxchick: Story about the checkout line made me laugh out loud :-)

For what it's worth, some of the best times I've ever had were instigated right after my wife pulled my computer off my lap. Of course, dave tries to keep the content here safe for family viewing, so I'll stop there...

Dino, plan a trip to the lake, I need an excuse to get away from work for a while...

--FeriCyde

PS: ya'll that can make it need to sign up for LinuxFest, it's starting to get out of control...
number6x

Aug 09, 2005
7:27 AM EDT
Paul,

Let me guess...

She took the computer off of your lap and reminded you to
  • take out the trash.
  • clean the attic.
  • weed the garden.
  • fix that leaky faucet.
  • any, or all of the above.

Yes, these are all rewarding and enjoyable endeavors.

:)
  • SFN

Aug 09, 2005
    7:54 AM EDT
    [euphemism]fix that leaky faucet[/euphemism]
    PaulFerris

Aug 09, 2005
    8:36 AM EDT
    number6x: I actually wrote a funny story a long time ago that begins this way (this is from 2000):

Quoting: Which is why, this past Monday, my wife Lisa stepped into the room, pried the phone out of my right hand, pulled my laptop out of my other hand, and drug my butt kicking and screaming off to Put-In-Bay, Ohio, where I was sure to down a bottle or two of wine. After that, I would emerge fresh as a Linux box after an init 6, albeit the world would be short a few bottles of the good stuff.

The story can be found here:

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1859/1/

Warning, tongue-in-cheek review of Linux at the link above :0)

--FeriCyde
    dinotrac

Aug 09, 2005
    9:36 AM EDT
    Quoting:Dino, plan a trip to the lake, I need an excuse to get away from work for a while...

You, me and Lady Trac, all.

Sigh.

Glad to hear that rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Unsure about rumors of mine.

;0)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!