Worthy Event

Story: MidWestern LXers Unite -- Register Now for Ohio Linux Fest!Total Replies: 12
Author Content
beaver2672

Aug 11, 2005
9:48 AM EDT
Even as a Wintel admin/user and devoted Micosoft advocate, I am still planning to attend this years event because of two reasons. First, I will be in Columbus attending Ohio State and I can walk to the convention center, and second, my Buddy and co-worker Paul Ferris is speaking, how cool is that. As much as I'm opposed to Linux, they technology interests me. It's so much different then wintel, and learning about the emerging technologies. Can't wait till the 1st! sp33dy http://www.asp.net
tuxchick

Aug 11, 2005
11:47 AM EDT
Why would you be opposed to Linux? Either you like and want to use it, or you don't. I don't understand "opposed."

Have fun at the Fest- I live so far out in the sticks I haven't been able to attend a conference or trade show in years. No panels, no booth-cruising, no swag. Life is rough. ;)
number6x

Aug 11, 2005
12:36 PM EDT
Hey Beave,

I'm with tuxchick on this. I don't get the 'opposed' thing either.

Alsmost every Linux user I know doesn't care much about Microsoft.

You have to actually use a product to have those kinds of emotions about it.

I know it might look different to someone browsing a site like slashdot, but I think most of the flamers and trolls that complain about Windows and say Linux is great don't even use Linux. They just want to act cool.

Use whatever gets the job done for you; Windows , Mac, Amiga, whatever. Don't force me to do things your way, I sure won't force you to change. Just use what works for you.
beaver2672

Aug 12, 2005
2:48 AM EDT
I guess I worded it wrong, I love the innovation and abilities linux brings to the table, alot of things, I can honestly say, MS doesn't have. It's cool to learn about new things. I guess I should've used the phrase "I'm not a big follower of linux, but it looks really cool and amazing", and I would agree that a lot of people who do "complain" about windows are just trying to be cool.
tuxchick

Aug 12, 2005
11:11 AM EDT
Well, some of us who complain about windows feel like we have a lot of good reasons, which fall primarily into two categories:

1. Microsoft's evil business practices 2. Windows is shoddy, buggy, insecure, non-secure-able, and deliberately designed to break standards and foil interoperability with other platforms

I realize I'm risking starting a big ole unproductive flamewar here, but I just wanted to point out that when I rant against Microsoft, it's an informed rant.
PaulFerris

Aug 13, 2005
2:45 PM EDT
here here, let's not let this thread degenerate into Microsoft-bashing. How uncivilized can you get?

Quoting: -- but I just wanted to point out that when I rant against Microsoft, it's an informed rant---

Oh, don't think I didn't see the subtle "Let's just jab that ferris guy right in the gut" reference here. Thought you'd slip that little insult in there all sly-like whilst my attention was focused elsewhere on Fest-preparing stuff. But I'm watching you oh Tux-Chic (that's pronounced "Tux sheek" for those of you who aren't into the nuances of knife-throwing). But I'm onto you now.

You knife-wielding hackers are all alike.

You crouch in the dust of your clandestined training facilities, nothing but the glow of your oh-so-polished steel blades and the smell of dusty canvas to guide your way. You thought you'd sneak onto the LXer message board and pretend to reduce the amplitude and emotion in a thread, all the while planning a stab at FeriCyde with the hopes of causing an out-right flame-war -- one that you could slink away from, all smug-like, content in the belief that no one would be the wiser to your "let's you and him fight" deeds.

But I'm onto you now! I see your ways and I won't let this thread break down into a forum where users bash other users with personal insults. Try as you might, I've got thicker skin that your knives cannot penetrate. You won't see _me_ escalating things to some stupid canned diatribe against Microsoft or making fun of people's nicknames (God Forbid) or even you, Tux Cheek -- speaking of which, you should learn to turn the other one, like I have.

--FeriCyde
dinotrac

Aug 13, 2005
2:54 PM EDT
Paulie, Paulie, Paulie:

Nobody's jabbing you in the gut!!! Way too much protection.

I'd be looking out for other regions, however...
tuxchick

Aug 13, 2005
6:17 PM EDT
Geez Paulie, calm down. You can be a windoze luser if you want, and it won't hardly affect my opinion of you at all.
PaulFerris

Aug 15, 2005
5:43 AM EDT
tuxxy, I see you've conspired with the 'trac'd one. Here I am, simply trying my diplomatic best to keep the flame down, and the pair of you have to insult my girth and imply that I can sink no lower. *sigh*

And I was CALM, and nothing you can do or say will change that. GOT IT!?!
richo123

Aug 15, 2005
6:13 AM EDT
Boy that was a pathetic flamewar. Here I was all agog in anticipation!
PaulFerris

Aug 15, 2005
7:07 AM EDT
richo123: I was tired. I suspect Dino's been taking his meds again too...
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2005
7:18 AM EDT
Meds?

Neither me nor that slightly blurry guy who could be my identical twin take meds. We do pop a lot of mints though. My wife gives them to us in a nice little paper cup.
tuxchick

Aug 15, 2005
10:30 AM EDT
I tried to get worked up, but I ran out of geritol and haven't had a chance to get more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!