Prior Art

Story: Apple blunder gives Gates iPod royaltyTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Abe

Aug 14, 2005
11:41 AM EDT
If Apple released their technology in November 2001, and MS in May 2002, shouldn't MS application be rejected on the basis of prior arts? Did the USPTO mess up or am I missing something?
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2005
3:03 PM EDT
First and foremost, only disclosed technology can be considered prior art. Also, as a matter of public policy -- to discourage hording technology as trade secrets -- the PTO will favor the party that files a patent for technology even if another party developed it first, but kept it secret.

I'm guessing there is serious court fight potential in this one.
chris

Aug 14, 2005
6:05 PM EDT
If the iPod was released in November 2001, then I don't see how anyone could consider it to be a secret, and prior art should apply. If it were still being developed in the lab, and not yet a product, then it would be more interesting and MS would apparently have a chance. Though I don't know the details of this case, it sure sounds like it could be a patent that could be overturned. However, the cost to Apple of fighting it will cost more than the amount for which MS would be willing to settle--which is how such "extortion" works.

This has an appearance of Microsoft trying to possibly steal technology and certainly steal money from Apple.
tadelste

Aug 15, 2005
5:22 AM EDT
Chris, you wrote:

This has an appearance of Microsoft trying to possibly steal technology and certainly steal money from Apple.

This also looks like Microsoft wanting to put Apple under.
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2005
7:16 AM EDT
Chris:

Releasing the Ipod and releasing the secrets of its technology are not the same thing. Mind you, for things like song menus, etc...that's kind of hard to hide.

Abe

Aug 15, 2005
8:30 AM EDT
Speaking of secrets, how about Apple claiming and suing for technology espionage? It is about time some one does.
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2005
9:48 AM EDT
Abe --

It is, however, a tough row to hoe.

You've got to have proof of specific wrongdoing -- ie, person A got into place B, knowing he didn't belong, and took thing C, which was secured agains prying eyes.
Abe

Aug 15, 2005
10:45 AM EDT
Dino:

I know, it was wishful thinking!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!