"Man, you're smoking crack!"

Story: Sun's Linux killer shows promiseTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
pendraco

Aug 17, 2005
5:33 AM EDT
While an instructor at Sun's Broomfield campus in 2001, I worked along side an engaging fellow who was the lead system administrator for the campus' educational servers (E10Ks) and workstations (Ultra 5s and 10s). Like myself, he was a long time Linux enthusiast and we had many discussions on the merits of Linux vs. Solaris, particularly Solaris x86. During one such discussion he told the tale of the CTO of one of Sun's customers who asked him whether they (the CTO's company) should use Solaris x86 rather than Linux which was then "much less mature than S9"...

EF: "I couldn't believe it and I said, 'Man, you're smoking crack! If you want Solaris, buy Sparc... for Intel, Linux is far and away better, and always will be.'"
tadelste

Aug 17, 2005
9:15 AM EDT
It's true even today. I used to know the part numbers to most any components in a Sparc 5 - 20. I had hundreds of the things. I especially liked souping the workstations up with Ross processors.

But for X86, I didn't get it. I've recently tried Sol 10 for X86 and I still don't get it.

Smoking crack is a good description for the guy who wrote the article.
tuxchick

Aug 18, 2005
2:47 AM EDT
why must everything be a deathmatch? sheesh, it's just computers. Very sick of lazy retarded "journalists" I am.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!