Ubuntu/Lenovo

Story: Laptop LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
electroglas

Sep 02, 2005
1:58 PM EDT
I hope that both Ubuntu and Lenovo both pay attention. Even if Lenovo doesn't, Ubuntu could come to the rescue by detecting the T21 and installing the appropriate software.
tadelste

Sep 02, 2005
9:22 PM EDT
In fact, they could build the same tool that detects what's missing on the Thinkpad using Windows for Linux. With the possibility of a surge of Linux business in the pacific Rim, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
ralph

Sep 03, 2005
1:04 AM EDT
I am using an A20M running a fairly fresh install of Ubuntu 5.04. After installing tpb from Synaptic, I had to issue the following command before it worked. sudo mknod /dev/nvram c 10 144

The volume control in the gnome applet panel is already convenient enough that I had not worried about the buttons. But, the mute button will be nice to have when phone calls come in. So, thanks.
richo123

Sep 03, 2005
5:13 AM EDT
Improving laptop support is a major priority for Ubuntu 5.10 (the next release). For more info see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopMission?highlight=(laptop)
tadelste

Sep 04, 2005
7:40 AM EDT
rich0123

Post script: the link is a wiki. A laptop testing team exists and users are reporting issues and filing bug reports.

If you have high expectations for this effort, then that's great. Just don't expect Ubuntu or Canonical to wind up with a panacea for Linux on laptops -- NOT TAKING AWAY FROM THE EFFORT. REPEAT - NOT TAKING AWAY FROM THE EFFORT. I expect a highly improved product - just not close enough to close the gap with Monopoly Systems of Redmond.

You have some issues at work - 1) lack of expertise 2) lack of participation 3) Canonical's reputation for starting off great and a perception of not finishing with the same enthusiasm 4) kernel issues 5) support for APM and 6) knowing the standard body of knowledge with regard to Laptops.

richo123

Sep 04, 2005
12:15 PM EDT
tadelste

I agree there will be problems left for sure. I have been filing bug reports fairly often over the past 6 months and my impression is that Canonical are somewhat a hostage to what happens upstream both in the Debian unstable as well as in straight kernel bugs. I have had problems with a fairly standard onboard network card (Yukon 2) not working and also with a scsi cdburner working unreliably. The first issue is a kernel problem while the second appears to be a Debian issue (Fedora seem to have had better versions of cdrecord than Debian for some reason).

They have made laptops a major priority but the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we will have to wait and see how things are in 5.10. What is worrying me a bit is that they have been pretty ambitious in basic software: X has been modularized and cleaned up as well which is a BIG change and also gcc-4.0 has made an appearance which again is a big step. I hope 5.10 is not too buggy as a result as they have a pretty tight release schedule.....
tadelste

Sep 04, 2005
8:42 PM EDT
richo123

I think you identified the issues pretty well. It's tough working hard on a project like this and wanting it to succeed so much. I just hope the developers care as much as you and the community.

I'm starting to look at two year horizons for Linux desktop and laptop projects. I'm not concerned about the kernel team and I'm pretty jazzed about the debian laptop team (I'm on the mailing list). I just hope the Ubuntu people maintain their commitment.

TxtEdMacs

Sep 05, 2005
4:52 AM EDT
tadelste - count me as one of the Ubuntu skeptics, however, I am planning to load the most recent version shortly on this machine. Moreover, reading about Shuttleworth and his answers to an interview published in Linux Format October, 2005 (LXF71) pp 74-79 changed my view on both their overall goals and their likelihood of obtaining them. Previously, I had not known that Shuttleworth' connection to Linux and Debian were long standing - I had only thought of him as one of those lucky few dot com millionaires that got the cash before the bubble burst.

An online link is here: http://linuxformat.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file...

Warning: I am a subscriber and I am uncertain the full content is available to visitors, however, several years ago prior to my initial subscription I remember being able to view some content without problem.

TxtEdMacs

Sep 05, 2005
5:03 AM EDT
Regarding my link to the Shuttleworth interview above.

Just took a better look at the link - appears to be available to the public, but it's a teaser. Incomplete with no photos and ends telling the reader the full version is in the hard copy.
richo123

Sep 05, 2005
5:37 PM EDT
I've been trying to work out what Shuttleworth is up to with Ubuntu for some time now. Here is a very smart and very wealthy guy spending a lot of dollars and energy on what looks like simplly a user friendly Debian spinoff. He is very well connected in Debian and very persuasive with them as well. This video is pretty interesting in that regard:

http://linux.blogweb.de/uploads/02-Ubuntu_Talk-Mark_Shuttlew...

He sounds awfully ambitious to me....
TxtEdMacs

Sep 06, 2005
10:39 AM EDT
richo123 - thanks for the link, very informative. Even more impressed with Shuttleworth.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!