German

Story: In praise of small Linux distrosTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
ralph

Sep 06, 2005
9:59 AM EDT
I like some of the smaller distros. They have character and you can see the results of personal effort. One nice one I have tried is Buffalo. The article talked about the irc channel for Kanotix. I would suggest you skip it, unless you read German. I watched it for half an hour and saw only a few words of English. More power to them, and I don't have anything against German. I just can't read it.
sbergman27

Sep 06, 2005
11:36 AM EDT
While I think that the plethora of smaller distros is great from a "massive parallel development" standpoint, (you never know when one of these unknowns is going to become wildly successful), I must confess to a certain bias against them. My home base is RedHat/Fedora. Though I've used Slackware, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu, and SUSE. (I'm currently running SUSE 9.3/Gnome and am actually considering the possibility of a jump from Fedora.) Not a single Linux distro that I have used in the past 10 years has really gotten everything right. There is always stuff that doesn't work quite right. My thinking, rightly or wrongly, is that if RedHat, Novell, Debian, and Mandrivecticoris can't get everything right, what can two guys in their garage do?

I suppose one thing that they might do is not get all righteous about what I should and should not be allowed to do. Sometimes with Fedora I get the impression that RedHat is not just declining to provide support for "forbidden" formats like mp3, but are actively going out of their way to make it hard to install them on my own.

The argument made in the article about newbies posting misleading answers in the support forums of larger distros may be true. In particular, I suspect Mandriva may have that problem. But having administered Unix since 1988 and Linux since 1995, it's not hard to spot the clueless responses. Then again, the sheer volume of traffic on a list like fedora-list means that more times than not, your question gets lost in the babble, and perhaps that is an advantage of using a smaller distro.

The above refers to general purpose distros. I used to use Peanut Linux on my ancient laptop and it worked very well. I have not used Damn Small Linux, but I could see myself using it for special applications.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!