Schillix?

The OS for schills?

Couldn't they have used something more 'helio-centric', like maybe:

Protee-OS Helix Heli-OS BigBallOfFlamingGasix

Something other than Schillix.
mmelchert

Sep 06, 2005
1:48 PM EDT
joerg(?) schilling is the guy who put the distribution together - so, the naming is similar to the well known torvaldix system ;-)
DrDubious

Sep 06, 2005
3:06 PM EDT
I could have guessed - I'm grateful to have a working CD-burning program for Linux and all, but Schilling seems to constantly complain bitterly about how horrible Linux supposedly is whenever he does something to "cdrecord" to keep it compatible - it seems (from my admittedly limited perspective) that anything that isn't done "his" way must therefore suck by definition. Along with his own special version of "make" and his own special "/opt/schily" install location for his software, now he has his own special operating system, too... (Choice is good and all, and I DO think it's a good thing that there's now an OpenSolaris distribution available - I'm just sayin'....)
mmelchert

Sep 06, 2005
3:32 PM EDT
DrDubious, thats also my impression of him, but then again there are more people around with BIG egos. What really puzzles me is the fact that there hasnt been any fork of the cdrecord stuff (I must admit I havent looked at the license..) or a reimplementation of it.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 06, 2005
3:34 PM EDT
Schillix? Can it be had for only a shilling? Or for the more wealthy Austrians a schilling?

[secret text] Dave can you replace my name with AnonymousCoward with this message. Don't worry about him - he's in Australia somewhere in the boonies they will never find him. Or failing that, when the guys with guns show up asking about me (you live in Texas right?) well give'm dinotracs'. He's a tough guy and is up to the task. Then email me quick, so I can get my gun out of the safe deposit box and stock up on some ammunition [I have to live this way otherwise the roads would be empty!] Your friend Pauli.[\secret text]
sbergman27

Sep 06, 2005
3:36 PM EDT
DrDubious,

Yes, I do seem to remember the cdrecord author getting a bit bitchy when Linus took notice of the fact that ide-scsi was really ugly and fixed it by eliminating it... meaning that it was up to the author to make cdrecord work through a straight IDE interface.

To be fair, Linux must have that effect on a lot of people who develop for multiple platforms. Of the POSIX compatible OSes, you have to admit that Linux is the one that stands out as not giving a whit about how changes in the API affect others. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. It's an indication that Linux is not ready to be paralyzed by perceived responsibilities to its own developer base. The day that Linus says "OK" to a request for a compatibility layer (cruft, by any other name) without reading the riot act to the proposer is the day that we can all look for another younger and more interesting OS kernel.

Oh, and number6x:

> BigBallOfFlamingGasix

GasX? MalantaX? FartOS?

Sorry, couldn't resist that cheap reply. ;-)

-Steve
richo123

Sep 07, 2005
8:38 AM EDT
Yeah Schilling really has it in for Linux. Check out these kernel messages (2.6.10 and 2.6.12, Ubuntu) that his piece of crapware cdrecord produces on my system:

scsi2:0:4:0: Attempting to abort cmd f0351380: 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 scsi2: At time of recovery, card was not paused >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dump Card State Begins

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!