This sounds familiar...

Story: As Microsoft Formats Fail the Test of Time - Doesn't Linux make More Sense?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
jabby

Sep 07, 2005
5:52 PM EDT
Ah, yes. I *have* read this before:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/8365/print

I guess there's a three month privilege period when publishing with Linux Journal. I don't mind you reprinting your pieces. Not everyone can afford to subscribe to Linux Journal and it's nice that everyone can have access to it now.

But, we all have access to Linux Journal's on-line stuff, including this piece. So, why isn't there any indication that this material was previously published? How about a link to the original? Since you can't really plagiarize yourself, there's technically nothing wrong with this.

It just strikes me as less than honest to give no indication to the readers here on LXer where and when the piece was first published.
tadelste

Sep 07, 2005
8:13 PM EDT
Since Lxer is home base then consider it the point of origin of everything I write. It's not unusual for others to ask for permission to publish my work and you will find articles, chapters out of my books, etc. on the web including ones at LJ. I also have blogs around and one will soon become available at O'Reilly.com. You'll see in my bio a mention of my involvement at Lxer. It's highly unusual for readership to cross sites but given the context, they probably will.

I've also put a few hundred topics under Creative Commons and I don't require attribution so you have probably read other articles by me without knowing it. I don't know the number of howto's I written but they would fill a couple of books and I forget how many wiki's to whom I contributed.

Currently, Open Content makes up a staggering amount of material on the web freely available to people. I forget the count, but I recently attended a seminar and heard Ethan Zuckerman's presentation about Wikipedia. He mentioned the number of pages of open content on the Internet and it runs in the billions - maybe billions of billions. Or maybe the web grows by a billion pages every few days. I just know the number was staggering.

Don't get yourself all worked up about it. In an upcoming Linux book you'll see a lot of writing by me but my name won't be mentioned since I did that one as a writer for hire. It's happened plenty of times in my career. That' just the nature of the thing.

But you knew that already. Just like you knew the rules at LJ.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!