Anyone had success installing Linux Deer Park Beta 1?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 09, 2005
12:35 PM EDT
If so, tell me how you did it!

The instructions are at odds with the file name (and contents) that is downloaded.
dave

Sep 09, 2005
1:57 PM EDT
I got it working!! It was an arduous process :-) so here are the steps:

mkdir ~/r

cd ~/r

wget \ "http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.5b1&os=linux〈=en-US"

tar zxvpf firefox-1.5b1.tar.gz cd firefox ; ./firefox

and it popped right up!

Running FC4 x86_64.

dave
TxtEdMacs

Sep 09, 2005
3:28 PM EDT
I will ruin the story, but I am finally running it after getting two sets of instructions over at the Mozilla site.

The first was akin to yours where I just had to move into the /firefox directory that was deposited just above (or below [depending upon your perspective]) Desktop in my home directory. However, running the ./firefox command immediately brought up my alpha 2 version!

The next one told me where to get the firefox-1.5b1.installer.tar.gz and this one said explicitly I was installing the beta 1, however, taking the simpler route again I only saw the Alpha 2 version pop up. Notwithstanding the datetime stamps were for today, it insisted it was the alpha and it was. I looked within the .mozilla/firefox directory (under or on top of) home and just about everything that was for the testing version had today's date with the major exception of the install.log. The installation was supposed to have deleted my /usr/local/firefox directory and all its contents (it said it was going to do it and seeing the datetime stamps it appeared to have done so). Nonetheless, as a straw to clutch while drowning (despite being a fair swimmer I might add) I blew away that directory and reinstalled. This time it worked!

Which only goes to prove, despite the quality of the code you think you are sending out - if it gets near to me I will break it! Many times I have had my own code perform seemingly flawlessly only to have an instance where it misbehaves. Upon examination, I wondered how the damn thing ever worked!

All clear now?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!