So...Just what the hell is a mission-critical app?

Story: Report: Open source years from mainstreamTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 09, 2005
5:35 PM EDT
Hmmmmmm.......

I could be wrong, but a company that deploys it's product using linux-based WebSphere as an application server is, in fact, putting a mission-critical app on Linux.

I have first-hand experience of at least one very major company using Linux for part of its mission-critical work: ie -- it makes its revenue by providing services that cannot be provided without using a database that happens to be hosted on Linux.

Regardless of what any consulting company thinks, regardless of what they think mission-critical apps should look like, the applications that comprise your revenue stream are mission critical. period. No revenue, no company.

Mission critical Linux is in a lot more places than you might imagine.
lordshipmayhem

Sep 09, 2005
7:10 PM EDT
I'd call Linux mailservers "mission critical", but some might disagree. Lots of companies using Linux there.

Linux fileservers are very "mission critical". Try running your company without its files...
tadelste

Sep 10, 2005
4:46 PM EDT
Trying to make sense out of a bunch of disinformation, huh?

You can't do it.

Circular logic starts with a falsehood.

Years from the mainstream eh. Well, wait until the mainstream starts having to interoperate with mainstream Linux in Government, Industry, the military, science, universities, developing countries.

Oh, you mean people are going to have to deal with Linux the way Linux once had to deal with Microsoft?

That's where all these "not ready" arguments start to break down.

I don't think we necessarily wanted to head the way the vendors took us, but we certainly wanted drivers for the hardware. Now, we're getting them and Linux isn't going away. This isn't OS/2.

How will Microsoft cut off our air supply? Like they did in Massachusetts?

TxtEdMacs

Sep 11, 2005
6:39 AM EDT
tadelste - Don't be too quick to declare victory. Remember when governors have presidential aspirations very strange things happen. Look no further than the "Terminator", who is taking both sides while vetoing something he supports (at least partially), the displaced Utahian who pledged to not impose his views then over ruling the morning after pill being available on the shelves. And finally, the inimitable Pataki speaking words worthy of the American Taliban (not as visible to non-tristaters) in defense of American Values.

I am afraid until I actually see the open formats actually implemented and enforced by the state of Massachusetts and others - I will not believe it.
tadelste

Sep 12, 2005
1:29 PM EDT
TXtEdMacs: A far cry from declaring victory, I am.

Let's just say that enough L-I-N-U-X is already out there that Monopoly Systems Inc. of Redmond WA has to deal with it. We can forget Massachusetts.

BTW, the Governator or whatever they call him, has a former BSA/Microshaft exec advising him. So while he vetoes his bill, maybe he will have BIll over for truffles soon.

And I stand by your unwillingness to not believe it.

And finally, for those of us with less humility than would be acceptible, please use a dialup connection with Windows XP SP2 for one week. I am sure it will purge the devils collected in the bowels of your existance and free you from the bondage of complacency.

As I take my leave, I say, you go guy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!