While I am sure Linux will get some fraction ...

Story: Open source aims to cash in on Vista migrationsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 12, 2005
11:24 AM EDT
of new installations due to the push to Vista it is by no means the only effect.

Just having the option to chose another course may require action by Microsoft and other unintended consequences:

1. Discounts that result in lowered profit margins.

2. Delays to insure tools are ready for a smoother move into MS's latest and greatest.

---a. Costs both in later cash flow and extra development of software.

---b. Further erosion of Windows user base due Longhorn's delays.

Looks like a Win-Win to me.
tadelste

Sep 12, 2005
12:56 PM EDT
I guess I have learned something over the last couple of years: Never underestimate the complete and utter stupidity of the human population at large. I think that Microsoft will do very well with Vista. I recently saw it running and it's a Mac OS X rip off with gnome and KDE attributes and Sun's looking glass thrown in.

I mean it was butt ugly. And they will sell a zillion of them. Why? Because people are dumb and dumber.

You can't use logic with regard to Microsoft. People just stare and go doh.

Example, where was the Emergency Response Network System that homeland security was supposed to deploy for every city in the country during this diaster in New Orleans? Well, it wasn't deployed because it was a LAMP application and M$ has lobbyed against it for four years.

What will the politicians say? It's those dumb people in DHS and FEMA.

So, there you have it - Meg Ryan.

dinotrac

Sep 12, 2005
6:16 PM EDT
Tom:

Quoting:So, there you have it - Meg Ryan.

It would be wrong to say that I would love to have Meg Ryan, huh?

tadelste

Sep 12, 2005
6:34 PM EDT
That's so funny. That's one of her typical sayings in all her movies. It's like Arnold saying "I'll be back".

I thought I would make an attribution. :)

dinotrac

Sep 12, 2005
8:22 PM EDT
Tom, Tom, Tom...

Not fully prepared for some of the infantile minds that haunt these premises, I see!

;0)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!