The Usual Confusion ...

Story: Sun extends olive branch to Red HatTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 12, 2005
11:53 AM EDT
does not know the difference between Open and Free.
SamShazaam

Sep 12, 2005
11:56 AM EDT
Whatever Sun may say today, you can be assured that within a week they will say the opposite.
tadelste

Sep 12, 2005
12:45 PM EDT
Instead of Sun - we could easily attribute everything to Scott and Schwartz.

If one listens to what they say and acts on it, don't be surprised if you fall on your butt and crack your tailbone.

Does McNeally look like a Beaver or a Woodchuck to you?
cjcox

Sep 12, 2005
3:20 PM EDT
Yesterday:

Sun: You suck! You are the most pathetic excuse of an operating system in the world. SCO will defeat you. The world will move to OpenSolaris because it works, unlike Red Hat Linux.

Red Hat:

We believe Red Hat Linux offers a product with better value than Solaris or OpenSolaris.

Today:

Sun: We love you Red Hat. We can work together. It's all about making money afterall. Let's be friends and put aside any previous misgivings about each other. Together, we can all become rich, riCH, RICH!

Red Hat:

We believe Red Hat Linux offers a product with better value than... err.. wait a minute did you say, "rich, riCH RICH???"...
tuxchick

Sep 12, 2005
4:08 PM EDT
tadelste:

Yes.
tadelste

Sep 12, 2005
6:36 PM EDT
He looks like a beaver and a woodchuck?

I think the latter.
cjcox

Sep 13, 2005
2:57 PM EDT
I'm thinking weasel personally.
Abe

Sep 13, 2005
4:17 PM EDT
I agree. After losing all that wait recently, he looks more of a weasel than a woodchuck.
tuxchick

Sep 13, 2005
8:09 PM EDT
hey, quit slandering nice animals. Weasels eat rodents. Woodchucks... I don't know what they do, but they're cute. Sheesh, it's difficult to come up with suitable non-critter metaphors. Let's see, dung beetle- no, they're useful and cute. Slug? Can't think of a reason for them to exist, but they mind their own business. Hmmm, must give this some thought.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 14, 2005
5:10 AM EDT
Enough of the personal attacks, please! McNealy has always been a bit crazy, in some respects in an admirable fashion. Moreover, personally I had a soft spot for Sun and at times admired their brashness. They have become nasty when it is an object of our affection that becomes the target. Nonetheless, we should not stoop to personal ad hominem attacks when there are so many valid failures in their logic, past actions and contradictory statements.

Remember this is NOT a private chat room where the words and text vanish shortly after hitting the screen (even those can and are being archived). Pay attention to your words, because they can be compiled to support the argument that Linux supporters are self centered, juvenile deliquents. Moreover, it will be said: they are nasty freaks that just love to use illogical attacks on their betters.

Relax a bit - go see Sun's new attack ads against Dell (the Center of Hardware Evil) where several publications rejected the ads. Sun says they are proud of them: http://www.sun.com/emrkt/rejected/index.html - I actually like the banner they flew over the Dell site better.

Perhaps, for this week Sun is a good friend of Linux. Just get yourself in a good mood to laugh when Sun picks a new target and to fight effectively when it's us.
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2005
6:58 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs, I see no reason to extend respect to someone who doesn't deserve it. McNealy's and Schwartz's campaign of misinformation and lies about the GPL, LInux, and FOSS hardly makes them friends of Linux. They're no better than Ballmer and Gates- they're just a lot less successful.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 14, 2005
3:57 PM EDT
tuxchick

Quoting: McNealy's and Schwartz's campaign of misinformation and lies about the GPL, LInux, and FOSS ...

All of which can be documented and argued logically. Facts are damning enough, it's the caricatures that are not needed.
cjcox

Sep 14, 2005
5:40 PM EDT
Very true.... I'm still thinking weasel though.
Abe

Sep 14, 2005
6:03 PM EDT
TxtEdMacs:

Nothing personal, just kids having some fun. You see, we all are kids at heart after all.

No seriously, we give people nicknames to describe their attributes, you didn't expect us to see him as a tiger or gazelle, did you?

To come to think of it, I think he looks like a hyena.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 15, 2005
11:49 AM EDT
Let me show you why this is just wrong. First let us pick a different target: Bill Gates. The animal that best typifies his innate character, obviously the Lion King fits best.

How has Microsoft succeeded when others failed so miserably? Many times it is letting others do the hard work then rushing in to claim the loot by force supported with bluster while taking a noble stance against the opposition. [This may not be the way some if not many informed people see it, but for the mass market it's a good approximation.]

Now back to animals and the wonders of night vision. [From the animal's point of view.] After a hard night of hunting and terrible combat the pack has killed its prey only to have an interloper appear with sharp claws to claim the best for themselves. We are kept at bay from our due by this nasty cat with an excess of sharp claws and teeth to watch this beast eat the best of what we won. Only when it has had its fill and harassed sufficiently does it leave the remains of the kill to us. The Hyena's life is one of hard work, theft at the hands of the stronger and the ultimate in the lack of respect by all. [Well MS follows the Mafia rules where they do not even leave enough air for the former innovator to even complain.]

PS My original title and comment for this thread was aimed at the author of the cited article - not McNealy or his current henchman. I think both of them really know better.
cjcox

Sep 15, 2005
3:09 PM EDT
Bill makes me think weasel too. Too many weasels. I wonder if ESR has ever shot a weasel?
tadelste

Sep 15, 2005
3:29 PM EDT
Lighten up! He looks like a woodchuck and acts like a weasel.

I used to like him, but it's all over now.

I can think of some interesting characterizations for Schwartz with a braided ponytail that touches the floor behind him.

You don't think physical characteristics provide someclue to a person's character? Pardon me, but those physical characteristics over which we have some control speak loudly.

You're right this isn't a chat room. That's good. Have you ever read Jonathan's Blog? He's a flip flopper if one ever existed.

Listen, when these threads get really profound - I contact authors and suggest that they read what people are saying about them. I direct them to this publication.

It's often helpful to a fool writing about Microsoft's greatness to see what intelligent, technically astute people have to say.

And the people that write comments at Lxer are more likely than not to make some remarkably poignant observations.

So Scott, you remind me of a Woodchuck and I used to really like you. But you became a weasel.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!