A better way to have presented these statistics:

Story: Firefox Rebounds Against Internet ExplorerTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 13, 2005
6:54 AM EDT
Microsoft's Internet Explorer, all versions, may have lost a percentage point in usage though the difference is certainly within our margin of error, hence, their market share may simply be nearly static (or maybe risen).

If, however, the Internet Explorer did lose about a percentage point in overall share our figures cannot be relied upon to discern where the uptake took place. Both Firefox and Safari are well within the margin of error as too is the Netscape browser. However, if indeed IE has dropped it seems more likely that these three had the majority of the uptake with the latter having the most based on our high scatter measurements and other measuring difficulties we face.

[Let me know if you buy into their numbers as presented in the "article", because I have an amazing business venture I wish to introduce you to! The borough of Manhattan is an island ringed by bridges and tunnels that take in an amazing volume of cash on the basis of ever rising tolls and traffic. While most are not now on the market, I have a lead to an older facility that was over specified and has been rebuilt relatively recently and is quite likely to last at least one hundred years. This is a once in a life time offer - contact Dave (LXer.com with be partners in this deal!]
tadelste

Sep 13, 2005
10:38 AM EDT
People with dial-up connections and/or broad band NOCs with Microsoft infrastructures may discover that Firefox won't workwell on their Windows boxes. If they use Windows 98SE, then they will have the wrong version of vdhcp.386 and cannot maintain a connection to their ISP. If they have Win2K or XP, then they may discover that their provider has a proprietary dialer that uses a dynamic dns proxy that doens't like Firefox, Mozilla or Netscape. The built in Windows dialers won't get DNS dynamically.

As difficult as it may be to believe, it's something to consider. I feel that Microsoft will throttle down Firefox useage to an acceptable percent and that it will cease to gain significant market share -- or it will do what it did last month and then they'll let up a little.

Don't go into denial on me and call this a conspiracy theory. I've watched a provider set this up. You'll find it prominent among 5 star hotels outside the US and where ICT infrastructures control Internet connectivity in small countries globally.

AOL and Netscape ISP have done one better. It appears they decided not to pay Microsoft for this wonderful technology and created their own which is much more restrictive and doesn't allow ICS. So, plenty of Linux boxes cannot connect to the internet through these services (though an Linux AOL dialer can be had through Linspire).

Now, how's that for restraint of trade?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!