Imposter or Ignorant?

Story: Is desktop Linux stuck on stupid?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Abe

Sep 13, 2005
4:07 PM EDT
Paul Murphy is either an impostor or ignorant. Either way he is harmful to FOSS. There is nothing in FOSS that is copied from Windows. Just because a desktop resembles Windows', does that mean it is copying? KDE might be similar to Windows, but GNOME isn't. KDE makes the desktop GUI similar to Windows just to furnish an environment that the user is familiar with. And it does a better job at doing that than Windows. Have you compared KDE and Windows menus? Have you noticed how slow opening up menus on XP and how fast they are on KDE? Have you noticed how easy they are to manage on KDE and how difficult on Windows? Mr. Murphy, you don't know what you are talking about. May be you ought to check FOSS a little closure before you make your analysis and judgement.

Mr. Murphy, have you heard of Plasma? The new desktop environment KDE is developing? I guess we will see who will be copying who.

The fundamentals of Linux are far superior to Windows. Many of the features and capabilities that FOSS furnishes can't even be made available on Windows.

Just to name a few: Can Windows have many virtual desktops active and work in them at the same time without having to minimize one to use another? How many remote GUI connections can Windows have on a desktop? How many file systems does windows support? Does it have any backup or cloning (ghosting) utilities like cpio, dump & dd? Does it have the modularity, scalability, robustness and reliability like Linux? Can you serve more than one or two apps on the same computer reliably? No wonder why there are too many Windows servers. To run an appliction, you need a dedicated server; otherwise your service quality goes down the drain.

And what is up with this "We , We, we". who is we? I hope you don't consider yourself a FOSS advocate; because WE, The Community and supporters of FOSS don't need your support. The developers and the distros do NOT need your analysis and input. We know what we are doing and very pleased with the progress FOSS is making. With supporters like you, who needs enemies?

By the way, this post was created on and submitted from Novell SuSe 9.3. SuSe is alive and well.
tadelste

Sep 13, 2005
8:02 PM EDT
Abe: He's absolutely an imposter. ZDNet bloggers use psuedonyms. He may be one of the ones that does. One of them wanted to quote me on something and the guy I called had a french name and lived in Canada (nothing wrong with that, btw) but it surprised me. After a few minutes, I realized the guy was a IT recruiter and that ended the conversation.

Frankly, I thought this guy was pretty wet.
tuxchick

Sep 13, 2005
8:06 PM EDT
Few of the ZDNet writers actually write their own columns, they used uncredited staffers and associate editors. I worked at Wankerdesk lo so many years ago. Quite an education, it was. Just as you all suspected - it's all about generating clicks. Any actual quality that leaks out is accidental.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!