Where's the facts - the empirical evidence?

Story: Review: Opening SolarisTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tadelste

Sep 15, 2005
3:08 PM EDT
Solaris isn't a Linux killer. Solaris is about suicide and self inflicted wounds.

So, the author says it's been around a long time and has massive numbers of deployments and is in so many places. Well, when you see the actual numbers they aren't impressive. 800,000 deployments doesn't make me shake in my boots. Granted they're mostly big metal - but compared to Linux or even OS X -- hello?

What he didn't say is how very insecure it's been. It wasn't until 2.6 that old sol started closing down places most crackers could exploit. Right now, Dtrace allows someone with an older kernel debugger to do anything he or she wants to do, see anything they want to see and completely own the computer.

Now, why hasn't Sun told people about that?

Solaris is slow, buggy, odd and I wouldn't want to do any more administrative work on it again.

Sometimes it's best to just give up on the past and start over. Sun should do that and flush solaris for good.

"The times they are a-changing" - B. Dylan
cjcox

Sep 15, 2005
3:12 PM EDT
And I think SMF was done because of the fact that Sun didn't really understand Sys V runlevels (thus they made runlevel 3 dependent on runlevel 2)... and their runlevel scripts.. P.U.... what a mess. Very amateurish. At least it's all hidden inside a binary object repository registry now. No wonder they like Microsoft so much. :)
TxtEdMacs

Sep 15, 2005
5:21 PM EDT
tadelste - I see you have not gotten the Word! Were is your Faith, don't you know this was done by "Intelligent Design"? Quit looking for facts, since there is no evidence - but it is true. The pres thinks it's a good idea.

cjcox - too bad, since you looked at their source and understood it you are no longer allowed to work on either free or open source ware again under penalty of laws we shall make up and enforce. But there is a recruiter that wants to discuss your future at Microsoft.
cjcox

Sep 16, 2005
10:26 AM EDT
Hee.. hee.. the init scripts don't count. :p

I've had many recruiters want to talk to me about Microsoft in the past (about their "Linux" outreach program).
TxtEdMacs

Sep 16, 2005
1:09 PM EDT
cjcox - they only wanted to rope you in for fun, right? But why do they use a noose when it's Linux they are trying to herd? What bothers me even more is their crazy singing of "Hanging 'em High ...".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!