Precious Innovations

Story: Don't Install, Just Copy with klikTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Abe

Sep 17, 2005
7:35 AM EDT
It is a tremendously valuable feature to add to the suite of tools like Synaptics, YAST, and others. Such innovations will wipe out the wrong impressions about the difficulty of installing and running applications on Linux; and shut up many of the "analysts" who keep using that against FOSS!

It is still new and limitted, but for sure will improve and expand because of its potential benefits for individual users and the enterprise.

May be Paul Murphy can tell us where these guys found and copied this hidden feature from Windows?!!!
jimf

Sep 17, 2005
5:45 PM EDT
I'm somewhat conflicted with this 'technology'. On one hand I can see peoples desire for quick and easy install... But, consider that most of the Distros using this are currently Debian based. The correct and secure way to install an app should be through a deb file in a repository which we know is secure... not some half assed klilk. Sorry, but I don't see what's easier or more convenient about this, and I don't see trading a insecure MS Bling type process for the real thing.
Abe

Sep 18, 2005
5:53 AM EDT
Security is always a concern. Klik files are as secure as deb or rpm files from a system on the internet. You just have to trust the source server. The nice thing about this technology is that all files needed are in the klik package, so no dependency issues or problems. They are installed in one area, so they are easy to remove and they don't impact your current system or applications at all. You can even install and run multiple versions of applications without any problems. You can even launch apps from within Konqueror which is a file manager/browser. Yes, it is true that the systems that support it now are Debian based, but I don't think that is a requirement, and if it is, it does not have to be in the future. In an enterprise, you can have your own distribution server where users can easily and securely install by just copying the klik package file. Like I said, this is a start. The process is still in its infancy and needs improvement and enhancement; I am sure this will happen when the feedback from testers and users start coming in.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!