I love (sometimes hate) Cinelerra.

Story: Cinelerra Linux video editor - Movie studio in a Linux BoxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 25, 2005
6:08 PM EDT
Cinelerra has become my favorite Linux application. The recent release of Version 2.0 - once I'd fixed up the mpeg rendering support missing from the X86_64 package has me almost giddy.

It's been a long road.

I've upgraded my system to an Athlon 64/gigabyte memory, and dream of dual-core and 4 gig with a couple of nodes for a small render farm. Applying multiple masks and effects to multiple tracks that are not squished down into some brutal compression scheme takes a lot of horsepower.

I've endured releases that would alternate between reading/not reading the avi files dumped from my camcorder, not to mention fresh new crashes.

And the user interface is, ummm, a minor challenge that I easily came to grips with in less than a year of playing at it.

But...

This software lets you do things. I produce small videos for the youth ministry at my church. With Cinelerra, I can use masks, I can chromakey, I can track motion, I can sweeten the color mix, I can have several videos going at once, and move them around the screen.

I can barely scratch the surface of the tool and still do more than I had ever imagined possible.

For free.

Definitely worth the effort.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!