outbursts

Story: Sun president: PCs are so yesterdayTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
salparadise

Sep 26, 2005
4:47 AM EDT
Is this the corporate equivalent to Tourette Syndrome?
tadelste

Sep 26, 2005
8:24 AM EDT
Salparadise: Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (Tourette Syndrome or TS) is a neurological disorder which becomes evident in early childhood or adolescence between the ages of 2 and 15. Tourette syndrome is defined by multiple motor and vocal tics lasting for more than one year. Many people have only motor tics or only vocal tics. The first symptoms usually are involuntary movements (tics) of the face, arms, limbs or trunk. These tics are frequent, repetitive and rapid. The most common first symptom is a facial tic (eye blink, nose twitch, grimace), and is replaced or added to by other tics of the neck, trunk, and limbs.

So, we might reconsider the behavior and explain other possibilities.

This could be the corporate equivalent of schizophrenia.

There is currently no physical or lab test that can absolutely diagnose schizophrenia - a psychiatrist usually comes to the diagnosis based on clinical symptoms. What physical testing can do is rule out a lot of other conditions (seizure disorders, tourette syndrome, metabolic disorders, thyroid disfunction, brain tumor, street drug use, etc) that sometimes have similar symptoms.

But in the case of a man with a braided pony tail that reaches the floor behind him, I don't think you can rule out street drug use immediately.

People diagnosed with schizophrenia usually experience a combination of positive (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, racing thoughts), negative (i.e. apathy, lack of emotion, poor or nonexistant social functioning), and cognitive (disorganized thoughts, difficulty concentrating and/or following instructions, difficulty completing tasks, memory problems).

I think I would go with either schizophrenia or bipolar disorder which causes dramatic mood swings—from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

...winking...
salparadise

Sep 26, 2005
2:04 PM EDT
Tourette syndrome is portrayed in the media as involuntary vocal outbursts of (usually) foul language. Hence my parallel. Thanks for the education.

As for the rest. I'm gonna have to leave now so I can laugh properly.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!