Hey guys you're starting to be like Slashdot

Story: Did Microsoft send the wrong guy to Massachusetts' ODF hearing?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
peragrin

Sep 28, 2005
10:40 AM EDT
Duplicate entries are currently on the front page under different headings.
tadelste

Sep 28, 2005
10:48 AM EDT
Peragrin: Seems like it. But one article is an eidtorial and the other is newswire.

Now, with regard to the comment about Slashdot, you aren't referring to the article about the Twelve Monkeys? Are you. I mean ten days in Microsoft jail?

That had some /. isms in the comments.

; )
peragrin

Sep 28, 2005
5:55 PM EDT
Considering they both link to the exact same article to make the exact same points. The editorial takes items from the article.

The editorial paragraph is the 7th one in the article.

Now granted i like the topic. I think it's really well written. but it is a dupe.
tadelste

Sep 28, 2005
7:26 PM EDT
peragrin: It's not an intentional duplicate. Sam has followed this situation since day one as he was the marketing lead for openoffice.org. He went to the hearings, consulted and lobbied for this. He has editorial privileges as a feature's section writer here.

The story itself came through our queue. After screening the article we put it into the workflow process and it goes through the newswire - as do our features. As I worked the queue, I decided to process the article.

Not much else to relay.

Corriher

Sep 30, 2005
4:56 AM EDT
On the bright side, no one has suggested this site is like ZDNet. :) This is a great place for getting the latest news... and if occasionally there is overzealousness concerning a topic... then at least it is better than the other extreme.
tadelste

Sep 30, 2005
6:56 AM EDT
Corriher: Thanks!
peragrin

Sep 30, 2005
7:49 AM EDT
Well It didn't look right to me but it wasn't my decision.

Tadelste tried to explain it to me, but I still can't tell the difference. Oh well, at least this site looks better. And you can customize it if you desire. That part is really cool. At a quick glance you can see if your logged in or not.
sbergman27

Sep 30, 2005
4:41 PM EDT
This site is wicked fast. Content and dupes be damned! Fast and simple is refreshing enough in itself in this day and age... :-)
dinotrac

Oct 01, 2005
6:59 AM EDT
sbergman27 --

I agree completely, though a little disturbed by the fact that fast and simple also described my dream date back in college...
sbergman27

Oct 01, 2005
1:45 PM EDT
Dean,

For some odd reason this reminds me a bit of one of my favorite exchanges from the 1968 movie "The Lion In Winter":

Henry II (Peter O'Toole): Eleanor, you're like a democratic drawbridge, going down for everyone...

Eleanor of Aquitaine (Katharine Hepburn): At my age, there's not much traffic any more....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!