Bravo!

Story: Critical Shortage of Linux Talent Slowing AdoptionTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
NoDough

Oct 04, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
You've hit the nail directly on the head and driven it out the other side.

I'm 41 and have been in the computer business (IS/IT/SE/etc) for over 15 years. I've worked with Linux in one form or another since 1996. I've set up web servers, databases, mail servers, backup servers, file servers, print servers, etc. I've programmed in assembler, C, C++, LISP, Basic, Pascal, Perl, PHP, etc. for systems running HP/UX, Sun Solaris, Linux, Novell, DOS and Windows. I've directly setup, tuned, and/or interfaced with dBase, FoxPro (I know), Paradox, Access, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. I've setup or interfaced with directory servers using Novell's NDS, LDAP, and ADS. I've written countless shell scripts and automated countless tasks.

There is nothing I would like better than to be a full-time Linux guy. One would think I could find work in the sector. -- Nope. For the few jobs that get listed I am overqualified (read: "We don't actually want to pay someone to do this.")

So what am I doing now? Programming Windows software. (Blech!)
tadelste

Oct 04, 2005
1:15 PM EDT
Probably not overqualified in reality: but in the minds of people who are looking for Lennox qualified installers. They think that they need more air conditioning in the server room.

Seriously, this is a problem. When I took my first MCP test in 1995 or early 96, (I don't remember) M$ was going nowhere with NT. I remember thinking that the MCP test was more difficult than the CPA exam. Only 1-3% pass CPA exams. Then, M$ made it easier and CompTIA was born. I think 75,000 MCP existed in 1996 globally. Then, in 2000 over one million had MCPs. I went to a course at a college to prep for another exam and the whole time was devoted to writing little rhymes to remember so people could answer the questions on the test. One was something about pizza makes you fat. It answered like a dozen questions on Ethernet.

The point: highly unqualified people have flooded the market and the only thing they know how to do is play a video game called Windows. (Blech!)
jimf

Oct 04, 2005
4:51 PM EDT
It is much simpler than that... In the minds of these guys, since the software is nearly free, then the support must be cheap too ;-)....
tadelste

Oct 04, 2005
5:00 PM EDT
If it's free, then why do you need suport at all? I don't understand. It should fix itself. Am I missing something? Oh, it should install itself - that's what I'm missing.

AnonymousCoward

Oct 05, 2005
4:36 AM EDT
tadelste: that and run HomeWorld 2, Railroad Tycoon and all of the other monocultured games on them there shelves without intervention.
Tsela

Oct 05, 2005
8:23 AM EDT
AC: that and actually go and fetch them from the shelves by themselves. And pay the bill!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!