how true...

Story: Sun Wah Pushes Debian based Linux in China - Why Debian?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
wjl

Oct 06, 2005
11:30 PM EDT
> Learning Linux was easy for my wife on a SUSE based computer and people at work think she's a wiz on her Windows terminal. She prefers Linux at home.

For us it's Debian. My wife loves it, and she's pretty good with it. We abandoned Windows long ago, and maybe for the same reasons China does it: instead of using proprietary software with lots of licensing, security and other issues, we now have the perfect *free* machines at home.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. And this idea of freedom has an unparalleled beauty IMO.

kind regards, wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien
tadelste

Oct 07, 2005
8:20 AM EDT
I agree with you. Am I guessing when I think you set up the system for your wife?

We were writing a book about a specific distro and unfortunately it wasn't Debian. But fortunately it was Linux.

tuxchick

Oct 07, 2005
8:54 AM EDT
For a lot of folks, sitting down to a computer and poking around menus and playing with applications works fine. The bogging-down point is expecting them to install a new operating system first. That's just goofy, even with a dead-simple installer like Linspire. I've helped a fair number of folks make the move, and it works great when you hand them a ready-to-run system.

"You'll discover that the Debian core products are interchangebale when it comes to working on them. That's a plus considering RPM based distros seem more like the one's that forked. "

Quite true. Yes, Yum and up2date have eased the pain of RPM hell considerably- except it has been replaced by RPM Repository Hell.
tadelste

Oct 07, 2005
1:58 PM EDT
Excellent points.
wjl

Oct 07, 2005
11:55 PM EDT
> Am I guessing when I think you set up the system for your wife?

Sure I set it up. When she was still on W98, she brought her computer to the store to have the guys there set it up newly.

> For a lot of folks, sitting down to a computer and poking around menus and playing with applications works fine. The bogging-down point is expecting them to install a new operating system first.

There are people who never set up any OS, and that's ok with me, as long as I can help.

What I meant is: some years ago, I showed my wife the first steps in HTML, and now I'm still setting up Apaches, databases, all that stuff. But in making any use of it, she is by now far better than me - at least her websites look much better, plus they are XHTML compliant (I mostly don't have time for this anymore). And she does all this with free software now, and that's the great thing. Plus she likes the quality and the philosophy behind that, too.
tadelste

Oct 08, 2005
9:57 AM EDT
wjl: EXcellent. Great testimonial. What an inspiration!

:)

wjl

Oct 10, 2005
4:05 AM EDT
Thanks, Tom, and tuxchick.

I drifted a bit OT maybe... but for me that often used picture of "world domination" is funny first, but a matter of time if you really think about it.

People just love freedom. And most of us love free beer as well ;-)

kind regards, and keep up your good work

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!