where is this grownup's table?

Story: Open Source could use a face lift.Total Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 07, 2005
12:35 PM EDT
But then, I think ESR's ravings look pretty tame compared to the endless flow of double-talk and contradictions that flow out of Sun, and the bizarre antics of Steve Ballmer, and the endless tidal wive of lies and propaganda that sweep out of Redmond. So... where is this grownup's table?
tadelste

Oct 07, 2005
1:48 PM EDT
I don't know where the grown-up's table is but I'm going to do a search on what one has to do to find it.

tadelste

Oct 07, 2005
1:49 PM EDT
To sit at the grown up's table, you have to be able to hold an ultra-fine 31 guage insulin needle by a certain set of muscles not discussed in polite company, walk across the room and tell another lie, smile serenely and with all manner of sincerity, lie again while standing on one foot. Then say, "get the facts".

AnonymousCoward

Oct 08, 2005
4:45 AM EDT
Tom, I think it's simpler than that.

The "grown-ups" table is, IMESHO, conceptually similar to "adult" movies, most of which are fundamentally very childish. It seems to boil down to "have money to burn, and act like you own the road".

Mark Shuttleworth has money to burn, but doesn't act like he owns the road (watch the video of his Soyuz talk from LCA2005; the guy is definitely legend material!) so doesn't get taken seriously by most of the "movers and shakers". [digression: more fool, them]

Many other "Open Source luminaries" act like they own the road, but they have very little money to burn, so they don't get taken seriously.

William Henry "Trey" Gates III has money to burn and acts like he designed and built the road with his own sweat, but his almost perfect lack of foresight combined with his breath-taking chutzpah have started to get him laughed at in many places, even if sometimes behind his back. The supply of dead presidents and chutzpah have staved this off for a ridiculously long time, but it's still happening.

The final item to flee this particular Pandora's Box is the nature of Open Source: it doesn't need to be taken seriously by "movers and shakers" in order to achieve widespread "market" penetration; I call to witness Apache, BIND, SendMail, PostFix, QMail, EXIM, Samba, PostgreSQL, PERL, PHP, Linux and sundry fellow travellers who all achieved significant "market" share before ever a serious investor knew they existed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!