I'll believe it when I see it

Story: Microsoft 'must support OpenDocument'Total Replies: 7
Author Content
sbergman27

Oct 08, 2005
6:47 PM EDT
Like the other major migrations that have been announced, either from MS Office to OpenOffice.org, or from MS Windows to Linux (which always includes an MS Office to OO.o migration as a subcomponent), I'll believe this when the migration is complete and declared successful.

When each migration is declared, it is always said that "other governments are watching closely". With Munich, it was Vienna and Paris. Something still seems to be simmering in Vienna, but I don't perceive much continued activity Paris.

And all the migrations have met with considerable delays. None have completed at this time.

I long for the day that I can actually point out migrations that are complete and were successful.

And *then* MS will be forced to support ODF.

Of course, for now they could just offer a special deal at a special price to Massachusetts for a special version of MS Office with ODF filters included. That would address Ma.'s document format (errr, sovereignty) concerns, and the commonwealth could send ODF documents, to their hearts' delight, to people all over the world who couldn't read them and didn't know what they were, just like today. But they could do it with familiar software.

salparadise

Oct 09, 2005
12:14 AM EDT
That's the down side of vendor lock-in.

It's supposed to be hard to escape to discourage people from trying.

Fritz

Oct 09, 2005
1:14 AM EDT
Just out of curiousity, what's the up side to vendor lock-in?

-> Fritz
salparadise

Oct 09, 2005
1:30 AM EDT
A fair point.

And one I probably should have thought of before using those words.

dinotrac

Oct 09, 2005
5:05 AM EDT
If you were to take Microsoft's statement at face value (always dangerous), they are admitting to complete lack of vision.

When they get pounded by 120,000 requests per month for pdf export, they finally decide that customers want it. Something new, however, is beyond their vision.

And, of course, the fact that OO has easy-to-use PDF output never entered their thinking...
PaulFerris

Oct 09, 2005
6:24 AM EDT
Fritz, Sal: The upside is that you as a vendor get to charge whatever you want for a product, and screw quality, security, stability and the like.

Sheesh, I thought it was pretty clear here.

--FeriCyde
dinotrac

Oct 09, 2005
7:20 AM EDT
Paulie et allie:

And the upside for the customer is you already know who to make the check out to.
mvermeer

Oct 09, 2005
10:10 PM EDT
Fritz, Sal, Paul: the downside is at the same time the upside -- for Microsoft...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!