agreed

Story: Comment of the Day - October 8, 2005Total Replies: 1
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 09, 2005
12:38 PM EDT
The first paragraph says it all- nice work, Sal.
purplewizard

Oct 10, 2005
10:19 AM EDT
I would have put the money fined into a trust that funded Free Software projects. That would force MS to innovate or become redundant because as time goes by packages like Open Office occupy the low ground well.

Plus the more they get fined the harder they make it for themselves by directly funding competition to what they are doing. If they want to be anti-competitive they just fuel competition that can be picked up by all their commercial rivals.

I think I would have fined them much more toward the maximum too mind you.

As to separating business from state. That is an interesting notion as it is as justifiable as religion as greed is some peoples faith as is is capitalism. There are of course problems to overcome. Unlike religion you might say everyone needs money to live but not necessarily organized religion. So there is always a weakness to be exploited.

Perhaps combining religion and state would work, only allow people who have taken a vow of poverty to be in roles within government that have the power to authorize government purchases. (Hang on wasn't I being critical about practicalities a minute ago!)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!