Sansationalist title, no big deal

Story: OpenOffice.org 2.0 release delayedTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
amosshapira

Oct 12, 2005
5:40 PM EDT
A bit of digging reveals that the bug have been already fixed and closed, together with three other bugs which took the opportunity of a delay to get closed. The delay is expected to be around 1 week.
tadelste

Oct 12, 2005
8:24 PM EDT
I downloaded the release candidate last night. I had already installed Star Office 8.

OOo should be a killer. The RC is very nice.

It's a war in the media. I read today that Lxer is bashing Microsoft. On a popular Linux site someone complained and said we're bashing Microsoft. I guess some folks haven't got it yet.

It's nice to see that the delay is going to be short.

dinotrac

Oct 13, 2005
4:08 AM EDT
OK...

What about the title is sensationalist?

The OO folks are not getting 2.0 out when they had hoped. Is there a more straightforward way to put it?

You'd think the headline read something like, "OO release delayed so developers can axe murder, rape and pillage."
tuxchick

Oct 13, 2005
5:16 AM EDT
well, Tom did say it is a killer. And all that bashing. I don't think he meant shell scripting.
sbergman27

Oct 13, 2005
2:18 PM EDT
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but OO is indeed delayed again. SUSE 9.3 was released in March (7 months ago) and included OO 1.9x because they expected OO 2.0 to be out any time. (9.3 users were told that a 2.0 upgrade would be made available as soon as OO 2.0 was released.) Fedora Core 4 released in June (4 months ago) with 1.9x because OO 2.0 was due for release very shortly, possibly even between the release announcement for FC4 and the actual release on June 6. SUSE 10.0 is out now, with 1.9x, so the 9.3ers may as well upgrade. It's mid October, and OO.org has found show-stopping problems. Maybe they've been fixed, and maybe a real 2.0 will be out in about a week. I would not recommend holding your breath. I know... "It's ready when it's ready." We all know the excuse... errr "Mantra"

Which brings me to point two. We do bash MS here. Regularly. Sometimes it's deserved... and sometimes not. We often bash them for not releasing stuff when they said they would. And when they claim it's because "The product is not ready yet", we snicker at them.

(BTW, I'm not speaking all that specifically about LXer. Pretty much all Linux sites with talkbacks do this. But LXer, as much as I love it, has a more insular community than some other sites. Many of us moved here over the old LT/Linux Reference Center thing which, I think, qualifies us as die-hards. ;-)

I don't like MS. But I do believe in calling a spade a spade.
sbergman27

Oct 13, 2005
2:58 PM EDT
Dean,

I do not condone axe murdering. Raping and pillaging are grey areas, to be sure, but my intuition tells me that they are likely problematic in the long term, and would probably delay release of the new major version of the office software.

I have never made a code contribution to OO.org, so maybe I am not entitled to a vote. But as a user, I would request that the plans for axe murdering, raping, AND pillaging be called off.

-Steve

PaulFerris

Oct 13, 2005
3:34 PM EDT
Steve: can I bargain all of this down to some tax code violations and parking offences? Might not delay much, but at least no one gets hurt. --FeriCyde
dinotrac

Oct 13, 2005
3:37 PM EDT
Quoting:But as a user, I would request that the plans for axe murdering, raping, AND pillaging be called off.

All three?

Steve, you are one stand-up guy.

We can only hope that the OO developers share your view on this delicate matter.
tadelste

Oct 13, 2005
3:54 PM EDT
Well, I qualify as a die-hard and since this is a Sun project and since Sun is now bashing Microsoft again, well....

What was the point of this thread?

Oh, axe murdering. OOo straighten up!
PaulFerris

Oct 13, 2005
5:04 PM EDT
tom: It wasn't a point, it was calling for more stuff with a knife-like edge from what I can tell...

Wait, Dino's head was involved. I see it now. --FeriCyde
dinotrac

Oct 13, 2005
6:14 PM EDT
Paulie -

You just wish you could reach that high!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!