Schadenfreude

Story: Glitch afflicts critical MS patch (Security Update Broken)Total Replies: 9
Author Content
tadelste

Oct 17, 2005
10:58 AM EDT
Schadenfreude is a German term meaning "pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune" or "shameful joy." It is sometimes used as a loanword in English and other languages.

"I love the Register, and John Leyden seems like one of the few security-writers who gets things mostly correct. However, except as a way to induce a moment of schadenfraude ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfraude ) I can't see why one would post this article here."

Trust me, it's definitely not out of Schadenfreude and someone named Stanislaus Thomas von Adelstein would know.

Tomorrow, I plan to post Microsoft's presentation about open source which they present at major conferences, while lobbying, etc. Then I think you might understand the motivation.

Microsoft doesn't expose their disinfomation to the public. They use it in private. Most of the claims they make about open source applies to them.

Microsoft controls people's perception in so many ways including subliminally. Ever get the thought, we should just let them be?

You think that originated in the Church or the Monastary? While Meditating? From Martin Luther King? Ghandi?

tuxchick

Oct 17, 2005
6:43 PM EDT
" Today, Alan Yates of Microsoft will make a presentation to the National Association of State CIOs explaining how Open Source practices are inferior to Microsoft's. How unfortunate for Mr. Yates if someone in the conference reads the news."

Do you think that would matter? How many years have microshaft flaws been making headlines? How many millions of people are personally affected? How many pwned Microsoft PCs do you think there are, spewing forth spam and malware? My guess is the number is close to however many are on broadband connections.
tadelste

Oct 17, 2005
7:06 PM EDT
Of course, the mind says "everything is the same as everything else only different". So, men are men and this one is name Joe. Or Windows is Windows and this one is named XP.

But, at a convention of State CIO's where 29 states are considering following Massachusetts to OpenDocument Format, then this is not the same as everything else.

Also, you haven't seen their presentation.

So, yes I do think that would matter. Years of history don't prove anything. Every opportunity is a new opportunity. Another way of saying that is that the dice don't remember the last roll.

Who would have thought that Mass would have gone open-source?

To button this one up, the CIO's will see a presentation saying that Linux suxx and Microsoft is perfect. And our speaker will say, OK what about your flawed security patch?

phsolide

Oct 17, 2005
7:43 PM EDT
OK, posting that article wasn't just to induce a frisson of schadenfraude.

And lately I've gotten the message that MSFT sales gives to managers when nobody technical is in the room: "Use our stuff and you can get rid of those uppity programmers. Anyone, and we mean anyone, can author software using '.net', it's like flipping burgers. Watch, I'll cut-n-paste this button over to here."

The secret message that MSFT sales uses (on big corporations, at least) is that they don't have to employ high-paid, incomprehensible programmers. Minimum wage Windows Code Monkeys can do the same thing, as long as they use Windows.

Now, my befuddlement is complete: MSFT is going around behind the backs of their loyal "MVPs" saying that Code Monkeys can do the same thing. MSFT isn't just about screwing over all other non-Windows programmers, it's about screwing over all programmers, everywhere.
tuxchick

Oct 17, 2005
7:47 PM EDT
"Now, my befuddlement is complete: MSFT is going around behind the backs of their loyal "MVPs" saying that Code Monkeys can do the same thing. MSFT isn't just about screwing over all other non-Windows programmers, it's about screwing over all programmers, everywhere."

By gosh, phsolide, do you realize that you have just described the Microsoft Perfect Storm? Truly they are equal opportunity- they screw over everyone! LOL!
tadelste

Oct 18, 2005
8:10 PM EDT
tuxchick: it's true. They screw over their MCPs, MVPs, etc. And, they screw over their partners. They sue their customers and throw chairs at employees who want to go to work for Google. They Schadenfreude when they kill companies. Do you vant my MS id number? Vee haf vays of dealing vith your kind, ya, we do.
bstadil

Oct 19, 2005
6:01 PM EDT
"They Schadenfreude when they kill companies." Tom, You can't do that. We have the same word with same meaning in Danish. Skadefryd. It excludes outcome where you have been involved yourselves. The word is mostly used when the universe "rightly" corrects itself in the view of the person taking delight in others misfortune. The misfortune canceling out some good mostly unearned fortune that earlier befell the party and caused envie.

tadelste

Oct 19, 2005
6:12 PM EDT
Bjorn: So, let's get this right. One sees the Universe at work from a distance and takes pleasure in knowing good prevails. Is that close?

This whole thing started with a comment in the voting on this article where the voter said:

" I love the Register, and John Leyden seems like one of the few security-writers who gets things mostly correct. However, except as a way to induce a moment of schadenfraude ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfraude ) I can't see why one would post this article here."

Did phsolide misuse the word?

bstadil

Oct 19, 2005
7:36 PM EDT
Yes I would say that this was not the best most appropriate word to use.

Your comment about good prevails is not really correct. It is not about good and bad but rather about envy and something bad happening to the person you are envious of.

At its root (at least in Denmark) is something called Janteloven or the Jante Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janteloven

Despite what the Wikipedia article says it is still alive an well in Denmark mostly in the domain of personal wealth

tadelste

Oct 19, 2005
7:54 PM EDT
es wird, ja beendet?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!