is microsoft blind, or stubborn, or both?

Story: Berlind: Anatomy of a Deaf MonopolistTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 18, 2005
5:24 PM EDT
Berlind's article is fascinating. I don't know how he keeps his job at ZDNet; truly amazing. Then Sam Hiser said

"these listening mistakes seem hilarious until you realize that Microsoft officials have no actual idea how Open Source & Free Software have changed the rules."

Until now I have assumed that microshaft has been deliberately obtuse- they get it, they just insist on doing things their own way, and count on their usual bullying to get them what they want, and their usual policy of insisting that yes yes, black is white. But now I have to wonder- this insane insistence on opposing FOSS is starting to appear pathological, a cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face sort of thing. They spend more money marketing against FOSS than for their own products. Just think if they did the sensible thing and used FOSS like everyone- OMG a miracle could happen, and they would release a quality product.

Could too happen.
salparadise

Oct 18, 2005
9:38 PM EDT
If enough people at Microsoft get the picture and have a little boardroom coup - chuck Mr. Ballmer and Mr. Gates out... Stranger things have happened,

I think it's a combination of pride and greed. Too proud to admit they've been outflanked and too greedy to let go of the revenue streams.

Pride goes before a fall. And man what a long way there is to fall for those two.
dinotrac

Oct 19, 2005
1:55 AM EDT
It's important to ask what it is that Microsoft doesn't understand.

I think they understand Open Source very well. I think they understand its power and appeal, because it is shockingly similar to the the appeal of Microsoft in the early days of the PC era. I think this because they have invested a fortune fighting Open Source software, and , as IE demonstrates, Microsoft does not like to spend money unless it has to.

They may not understand the limits of their clout in a place like Massachusetts. So used to throwing their weight around, they may be shocked to find their beer belly shrinking.

Or, maybe not shocked, but too smart to admit that for the press to hear.
tadelste

Oct 19, 2005
6:44 AM EDT
Dino: The Dallas Morning News did an article on Microsoft's weight loss and fittness program on Sunday. Seems Ballmer has lost weight and is fit. They have a team of trainers, doctors and nurses, etc. conducting a fittness program all over their campus. So, the beer belly's have gone away. But they remain figuratively (sic).

Actually, they would have done better to ignore Linux and open source. Because what one resists persists.

Their fear of open source has created a message that Microsoft is vulnerable to better technology. This is a classical case of a blind spot on Redmond's part.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!