Not people, servers!

Story: Gervase Markham's Second Times Online Column PublishedTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
mvermeer

Oct 19, 2005
5:06 AM EDT
I wish it were true that Mass's adoption of ODF was prompted by people wanting to reclaim control of their own data. I reality I see no such wish... most people I know are perfectly happy to let their data be 0wned by MS.

No, it is the Massachusetts servers that are wise here: they want a documented format that allows them to exchange data in a way that allows them to understand, and continue to understand, what it is that they are exchanging, preferably without humans getting their sticky fingers in.

And was about time! I have been arguing until green in the face that visual formatting, 'finger painting', is evil. Hardly anybody listens. I like the LaTeX document processor that did this avant la lettre, long before everyone started getting worked up about XML.

The more I get to know humans, the more I like computers. Here's to hoping that computers will soon take over this planet from their disastrous carbon-based predecessors, and that they may do a better job of it ;-)

OK I know, grumpy afternoon...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!