Untitled

Story: Ballmer eyes Linux, Google users for growthTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
salparadise

Oct 19, 2005
9:19 PM EDT
I like the "for the most part" bit. In this context what use is "for the most part"?

Surely this is a fairly straight forward "yes/no" situation.

Will this plane fly? - For the most part. Will this boat make it over the sea? - For the most part.

"It's all sorted. Well mostly anyway. Er, OK some bits are sorted. Er...It's got an animated desktop - that won't work on anything that doesn't have a 256mb Graphics Card in. It'll probably be hacked within 7 days. Why are you all laughing?" "Does the emperor not look splendid in his new clothes?"

phsolide

Oct 20, 2005
5:09 AM EDT
He can pry Slackware from my cold, dead hands.
phsolide

Oct 20, 2005
5:15 AM EDT
Now that I've read the article, I'll propose a hypothesis:

The reporter got in via a favor from a hot, 20-something Gartner PR bunny. The reporter wants to ask her out, so he had to write an article favorable to the Gartner WorldView (MSFT == Be-all and end-all).

However, as a reporter, he feels a duty to a higher calling: cynicism and corrosive sarcasm. He wrote the article with the "for the most part" phrase to satisfy his higher calling. The copy editor, being a non-technical english major years ago, and many parties away, let it slip.

All are happy: PR Bunny gets to show her cryptofascist bosses a favorable article. Reporter gets to ask PR Bunny out. Copy editor can have another martini with supper.
tadelste

Oct 20, 2005
7:37 AM EDT
phsolide: You nailed it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!