Not my experience at all.

Story: Mandriva 2006.0 ReviewTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
salparadise

Oct 21, 2005
1:17 AM EDT
I've got Mandriva 2006 running on my tablet PC and it's SWEET. Everything except the Pen and Screen Rotate worked out of the box, now everything except Screen Rotate works. KDE is perfectly functional, Enlightenment 16.999 is in the repositries. And so on and so on.

Just goes to show, you can't base a realistic, fair review on one install.

helios

Oct 21, 2005
12:07 PM EDT
I spent a week in Mandriva as a dedicated install and I have mixed feelings about it. Now I am not a Mandriva "fan" so this opinion comes with no intended bias. I come from and advocate from the new user perspective. While I do agree with Sal that this is a sweet, well loaded and attractive distro...I had some problems with the general menu layout and some issues with instability in the package management program. Often problems like the instability I experienced can be attributed to a bad burn (40x was chosen while knowing better all the time).

I would not recommend Mandriva to a new user. A staff member of Lobby4Linux helped one of our new members install and set up Mandriva on his brand new computer and it has confused him a bit, of course he is a Linux novice so some confusion can be expected. However walking him thru some basic software installations and file/menu commands, I found there is the "Mandriva" way of doing some of these things.

To be honest, I still keep an old Conectiva Live CD around to show hopeful converts, along with a pclos live cd. I personally like the Conectiva install over the Mandriva system myself...but then again its all a matter of choice and perspective. It was a pleasant suprise to find that the conectiva live cd came with nvidia drivers pre-configured. I guess I was just hoping for more from Mandriva. I have been spoiled by PCLinuxOS.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!