I am now looking for

Story: OpenOffice.org 2.0 releasedTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
peragrin

Oct 21, 2005
1:40 PM EDT
a simple command line tool that will convert Open office 1.0 files to Open Document files.

Basically I am lazy don't want to open each file separately in Open Office, and then save them as the new format. That and Open Office 2.0 doesn't support OS X so i have to move my files to another machine in order to convert them.

DrDubious

Oct 21, 2005
3:01 PM EDT
I've been itching for a command-line document conversion tool in general, presumably based on the OOo 2.0 codebase. It'd be nice if I could, for example auto-run a ".doc to .odt" conversion program on received "Word(tm)" documents without calling up the whole "OpenOffice Writer" program...
PaulFerris

Oct 21, 2005
4:03 PM EDT
DrDubious: do you need the format of the document in tact?

If you don't, google "antiword"...
mvermeer

Oct 22, 2005
4:27 AM EDT
Eh... if antiword is good enough then wvWare is better. It contains such things as wvHtml, wvRTF and wvDocbook which may be better starting points.

HTH Martin
jamesstansell

Oct 23, 2005
1:07 AM EDT
Or, you might be interested in what the OpenOpenOffice project is doing. The server they're building is based on a perl module that can be used for automatic document conversions, among other things. You'll find it in CPAN, and articles have been written about it. I think either linux.com, linuxjournal.com or perl.com. LXer has probably linked to at least one of the articles. http://www.phase-n.com/openopenoffice/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!