This is not Linux news.

Story: Mobility Email Takes Messaging MobileTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
mvermeer

Oct 24, 2005
10:37 PM EDT
I hate articles that say on page thirteen in six-point font "...for Windows".
tadelste

Oct 25, 2005
6:01 AM EDT
mvermeer: Your response helps. We read the articles. While we're a bit torn by whether an article relates solely to Linux, free software and/or open source, your response gives us needed feedback.

mvermeer

Oct 25, 2005
7:47 AM EDT
Tom, tongue-in-cheek... of course the news doesn't have to be strictly Linux! It's just the routine assumption of a Windows world that makes me see red.
tadelste

Oct 25, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
Me too.

A strategy exists that began a few years ago. It went something like this: Let's build a browser and an office suite and make them free and better. People will take those instead of the Microsoft ones and then whatever you use will become insignificant. Then people can switch desktops and no one will notice.

Lots of serendipity came along the way, but those guys at Sun can look back and make a point. IBM had a little different startegy, they decided to go the server route.

I got to see it all first hand and even got to work on the government initiatives.

Massachusetts will start migrating openoffice.org to Windoze initially. That's OK because Vista (aka Aqua on Linux) will bring Linux further to the fore front.

meanwhile, let's keep doing what we're doing because it works. And experiencing and expressing one's indignance at Microsoft has an effect.

tuxchick

Oct 25, 2005
12:49 PM EDT
mvermeer, I hate that too. But I adore the inherent subversiveness of GPL-apps written for Windows. Just one more chink in the Borg armor.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!