Braille word processing?

Story: Galvin attacks software proposalTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
jimf

Oct 26, 2005
5:24 PM EDT
Assuming that they are talking about visual impairment, a 200% zoom in OO2 isn't enough... what gives??? This is just stupid.
tadelste

Oct 26, 2005
6:32 PM EDT
It's pretty academic at this point. But visually impaired people have devices to produce braille and those devices work with MS Office. It an ODF plugin does exist for MS Office - that should handle it.

jimf

Oct 26, 2005
6:45 PM EDT
Oh great, now the braille device manufacturers are in bed with the borg ;-).
mvermeer

Oct 26, 2005
11:35 PM EDT
> Oh great, now the braille device manufacturers are in bed with the borg

Not really... I see that Gnopernicus supports some 50 different braille displays. Yes, it's still beta.
purplewizard

Oct 27, 2005
5:39 AM EDT
But even with visual impairment surely open format is best. It means more people and that includes Free Software can produce tools that give choice to them also.

There might be a delay I suppose. However the simple argument of having these things readable in the future and by a wider range of tools must surely out weigh a short possble delay for a few.
devnet

Oct 27, 2005
9:04 AM EDT
Well...

I know that articles such as these usually stimulate development in FOSS....look for that project to get a shot in the arm and braille to become integrated with OOo.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!