SCO

Story: Mysql CEO: Partnerships will propel OSS into mainstreamTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
bstadil

Oct 27, 2005
2:20 PM EDT
And this guys first partnership was with SCO. Talk about being market-deaf.

It's like buying $10M worth of negative advertising.
Corriher

Oct 27, 2005
2:55 PM EDT
Geeessss.... All I can do is shake my head.

Oh I get it! He's being funny when he suggests Linux will be propelled by its "support" from "major vendors like SCO", and suggestion that SCO is "helping" as much as IBM is. This must be since SCO designed the Linux kernel, after all.

He is being funny, right? (looking around nervously) They're not really trying to kill the future of MySQL, are they?
tadelste

Oct 27, 2005
6:21 PM EDT
The guy stood us up for an interview at Linux World in Boston. We went looking for him and no one could find him. It's the second time he's done it.

I have no clue what drives him. But, other people have partnered with SCO. One of them was my former firm Bynari. I have no idea about the results, I was long gone.

I do know that the people who took over at my former firm were totally disconnected with the Linux community. The first thing they did was pull the free download of Insight server. They couldn't get why anyone would give anything away. They're obviusly grounded in FOSS theoretically.

I think that Marten may suffer from the same foolishness. To do business with some of the major vendors like HP, Apple, IBM, etc. you can't just operate as a project. You have to have a commercial look and feel. In other words, when the vendor comes calling, you better look the part of a corporate entity.

He may be collecting vendors so he gets distributed by Ingram Micro, Tech Data, etc. That's called a second tier marketing approach. In other words, they sell your products to the channel.

He doesn't have enough products, services, etc. to go to market that way. He needs help. Financing can make smart people do dumb things.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!