I used this for a long time

Story: Crossover Office aims to ease a switch to LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tadelste

Oct 29, 2005
9:55 AM EDT
I still have an earlier version. For a long time, I just downloaded every upgrade.

I was using a cable modem and I needed an efax account. That was before they made it easy to use their web site.

I also used Winscp before gftp got ssh.

I installed IE because some sites would let me access them. But firefox fixed that.

So, though I stopped using Cxoffice, I know it helped me get windows off my machines. Maybe it will help with Windows adoption.

cjcox

Oct 31, 2005
9:07 AM EDT
My company depends on cxoffice for our Linux desktops since we are an all MS Office shop here. It works quite well. Highly recommended for places where switching to something else just isn't possible.

Evolution's Exchange connector support is problematic at best... running Outlook under cxoffice is a good alternative.
helios

Oct 31, 2005
1:16 PM EDT
I like Codeweavers product...except the upgrade of IE from 5 to 6 breaks IE. I have contacted Codeweavers right here in Austin about it and they have been "working on it" for some time. If they want to comp me an upgrade from 4.2 to 5 for my lack of IE for over a year, fine. Otherwise, I will continue to use it as a an expensive albeit great replacement for Wine.

helios
jimf

Oct 31, 2005
2:20 PM EDT
Well helios, I'm not sure that anyone should be compensated for the lack of IE :D.

I do think that the new crossover 5 looks to offer much better support for most windows programs including Access 2000. I'v been using Crossover 4.2 for Adobe support and it works well for that, but, I still have a large number of useful databases in Access and this support will save me a lot of time and effort in current use and translation to mysql or sqlite. Also, considering how much most of us love struggling with the wine setup, $40 is really quite a bargain.

helios

Oct 31, 2005
3:36 PM EDT
$40 is really quite a bargain.

In reality, it's a steal. the new win4lin disappointed greatly with its newly-found support for XP...pretty shoddy actually...I would rather just run the app will CX than the OS shell anyway.

And If I don't shut up, Codeweavers will charge ME a convenience fee for not littering my hd with IE. Better leave well enough alone. btw...just purchased 5.0...installing it now.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!