Leave it alone

Story: OpenDocument Petition Surpasses 5500 SignaturesTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
qcimushroom

Oct 29, 2005
2:26 PM EDT
If Microsoft wants to commit sucide, let them! A world with out the evils of Microsoft would be a better one.
tuxchick

Oct 29, 2005
7:18 PM EDT
But don't you think giving them a bit of help would be fun and beneficial? :)
dinotrac

Oct 30, 2005
3:19 AM EDT
But why stop at a bit?

After all, we've got years of being less than friendly to the Redmond crowd. Especially considering the state of assisted-suicide up there in Washington, this is one thing we can be all slap-happy jig-dancy shout "Amen, brothers and sisters" about.

Just to be supportive, of course.
Abe

Oct 30, 2005
5:22 AM EDT
Although I am against it and money could be an object to them, I would even pay for "Dr. Death" services. For some reason, I feel like being a nice guy today.
dinotrac

Oct 30, 2005
6:00 AM EDT
Abe -

It takes a big man (or woman) to step up and do the right thing.

I'm proud of you.
Abe

Oct 30, 2005
6:17 AM EDT
Thanks Dina. I am just trying to help them out even if I have to make some exceptions.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 30, 2005
4:01 PM EDT
dinotrac, I hope this was a joke
Quoting:Especially considering the state of assisted-suicide up there in Washington ...

Oregon has assisted suicide not Washington state. Indeed Oregon is the home of Open Source Development Lab. (on the Oregon State University at Corvallis) where Linus other notable F/OSS figures reside work.

I wonder is that enough to reverse your allegiances?
dinotrac

Oct 30, 2005
4:13 PM EDT
TxtEdMacs -

Quoting:Oregon has assisted suicide not Washington state

OOPS!!!!! My bad.

Of course -- If Washington doesn't officially support assisted suicide, it's even more important that we do our very best to make sure those swell souls in Redmond know that we are standing by to offer any assistance we can, including bus fare to Portland.

TxtEdMacs

Oct 30, 2005
4:51 PM EDT
Just because someone works for Microsoft does not make them either my or your enemy.

Propensity for violence against others begins with words, be a little more careful in what you suggest. Or make it very obvious you are joking, even then it smacks too much of zealotry. Let the fanbois of MS sound that way on slashdot while pretending to be part of the mob. Here we should have a higher standard, it's what we are for not what we are against that should define us.
tuxchick

Oct 30, 2005
5:09 PM EDT
TxtEd, the infuriating bit is how much they lie, and how loudly, and how badly, and how often. You know the punchline... "when their lips are moving." And I confess to enjoying, probably too much, the slogan "defenestrate Windows." Such a delightful mental image.

But no one seriously advocates violence against them. There are repercussions, after all, like punching Steve Ballmer means you get showered with sweat. Most un-hygienic.

The real work is down in the trenches, developing and improving great software, and counteracting the FUD and propaganda, and helping folks make the move away from winduhs and toward stuff that works right and is not distributed with bullying and micro-management-control. Which is much less fun than taking up a collection for Dr. Kevorkian's services.
dinotrac

Oct 30, 2005
5:55 PM EDT
TxtEdMacs --

You're right, of course.

We should make clear it's the Corporation, not the employees we would happily help into oblivion.
qcimushroom

Oct 30, 2005
6:11 PM EDT
There is a great article in groklaw today http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051029212458555 and from what I read, if Microsoft fails to support the OpenDocument format, that in time Microsoft office will be replaced world wide by office suites that do.

So I say "do and say nothing", let Microsoft walk around with their head in the clouds towards the precipice of oblivion, and enjoy the show.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 31, 2005
7:11 AM EDT
Here is a reason I do not even hate Mr. Microsoft himself: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/science/30cnd-malaria.html

It's sad to state without Bill Gates chump change, nearly nothing would have been done to counter the rising threat of malaria, to those that can least afford any health support.

Could there have been better ways to have financed these efforts: surely, however, nothing appeared when the problem became increasingly evident that more efforts were required. For example, the standard drugs were losing their effectiveness, with no new replacements in the pipeline.
dinotrac

Oct 31, 2005
7:55 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs --

And, **GROAN**, it's only fair to point out that, chump change or not, Gates didn't have to spend it for any kind of worthy endeavor. Painful or not, even the devil must get his due.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!