Sony's DRM rootkit

Story: Bots in the A/C, spyware in the 'fridgeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
bstadil

Oct 31, 2005
5:14 PM EDT
Linuxchick, Did you see the /. story today about Sony's DRM? http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/2016223&tid=1...
tuxchick

Oct 31, 2005
5:26 PM EDT
yes, I wanted to post it here, but it appears to have been Slashdotted. We can grab it up later. :)

Mattel has pulled quite a number of related dirty tricks, I'm thinking an article collecting some of these offenses would be fun and enlightening.
mvermeer

Nov 01, 2005
4:01 AM EDT
I've been saying this forever. Convergence... those saying that Linux/FOSS is "only software", are going to have egg on their faces. In truth it's the future packaging of our civil rights -- or we won't have any.
peragrin

Nov 01, 2005
5:44 AM EDT
i forget which ceo (some RIAA member) but he said that mac and linux users should go buy a "real" computer if they wanted to listen to music on their computers.

I now know why. I am so glad I have a Mac, and linux for my computers, and that I don't buy music cd's anymore.
helios

Nov 01, 2005
7:04 AM EDT
yes, I have begun to take the entire rootkit thing seriously since it looks to be the way of the future for intrusions...however I stopped reading once I saw the C:/windows/system32 in the screenshot. I DO have a real computer, I DO listen to music on this 7.1 surround sound monster (w/wireless broadcast throughout my house thank you) and I DO NOT buy music anymore. Being a child of the 60's, there is a finite amount of music I care to listen to, albeit a large finite amount ranging into the late 90's. I have (ahem) obtained all the music I care to possess and if I choose to share it, I do so on a closed network by invitation only.

Here's to dodging DRM for as long as possible. Have already purchased the hardware necessary to build 4 more computers with hardware I trust. SKrooo some ceo (some RIAA member). Let the Windows Quislings suffer their fate.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!