Oh no its the beginning of the end for linux..........NOT

Story: SCO describes alleged IBM Unix misuse to courtTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Koriel

Nov 01, 2005
1:19 AM EDT
Im suprised that their 5 page filing/list of sco commandments isn't written on stone tablets its the only way they would gain any solidity.

All hail our lord Darl as he delivers us from evil (IBM) and forgive us sinners forever doubting the holy trinity of SCO, MS and Enderle.

End of rant, how on earth it ever dragged out so long defies any logic i can come up with.
salparadise

Nov 01, 2005
3:40 AM EDT
"how on earth it ever dragged out so long defies any logic i can come up with."

One word...

Lawyers.
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2005
5:41 AM EDT
Judges too:

"District Judge Dale Kimball, overseeing the case in U.S. District Court in Utah, has expressed skepticism for SCO's claims. He said in a February ruling, "Viewed against the backdrop of SCO's plethora of public statements concerning IBM's and others' infringement of SCO's purported copyrights to the Unix software, it is astonishing that SCO has not offered any competent evidence to create a disputed fact regarding whether IBM has infringed SCO's alleged copyrights through IBM's Linux activities."

Then WTF is their case still alive after two years?
Koriel

Nov 01, 2005
5:43 AM EDT
Justice according to Koriel

SCO Copyright Infringement Claim

Dramatis Personae

The Extremely Amazing Nice Guy in General, Honourable Judge Koriel appointed by the extremely nice Bill (Have a Cigar) Clinton Representing SCO, Mr Heist of Crooke, Swindle and Cheatem Representing Novell, An Awfully nice chap Representing IBM, 9 Mounted Nazgul

Judge_To_SCO: So Mr Heist you claim that IBM put some of your UNIX'y stuff in this Linux'y thing.

SCO_To_Judge: That is correct, my honour.

Judge_To_Nazgul: Did you put some of their UNIX'y stuff in this Linux'y thing.

Nazgul_To_Judge: Yes and No, your honour hisssssss.

Judge_To_Nazgul: Which is it?

Nazgul_To_Judge: Yes we did put UNIX'y stuff in Linux and No it isn't their UNIX its hisssssss pointing to Awfully Nice Chap.

SCO_To_Judge: Objection your honour.

Judge_To_SCO: Overruled, i find you objectionable.

Judge_To_AwfullyNiceChap: So its your UNIX then?

AwfullyNiceChap_To_Judge: Yes your honour.

Judge_To_SCO: So you also claim its yours.

SCO_To_Judge: Yes your honour.

Judge_To_SCO: As soon as you can prove you own this UNIX'y thing feel free to re-file, please compensate AwfullyNiceChap for his expenses incurred and make sure those IBM guys get a sandwich as they are lookin awfully thin oh and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Time Taken To Dispense Justice 10 minutes.

As the Coens would say "Based on a true story" :)

Can i take a wild guess a stab in the dark so to speak, did lawyers invent "Due Process" per chance?

PaulFerris

Nov 01, 2005
7:16 AM EDT
the real reason this case is dragging is obvious -- Fear Uncertainty and Doubt do not need real underpinnings -- hearsay works just as well.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2005
9:25 AM EDT
Paulie ---

Wrong again, and it's about time!!

The real reason this case is dragging on is because somebody is paying the lawyers.
number6x

Nov 01, 2005
10:33 AM EDT
dino,

It would have ended a year or so ago, but longhorn got delayed, and they had to start over from scratch, and then they didn't get the version for IA-64 working and Intel got mad, then Steve started throwing chairs, then...

Where was I?

Oh yeah, this is pretty normal pace for these legal hassles. (And they think we computer programmers deliver projects late!)
PaulFerris

Nov 01, 2005
12:30 PM EDT
Quoting: Wrong again, and it's about time!!

What?!? I can't believe you're keeping track of the number of times I'm wrong! Better be careful, might buffer-over-run your database on input if you keep that up. Regardless, your position gives you away.

You judgemental hackers are all alike.

You crouch in the dust of your judicial stands, nothing but the smell of stale legal journals and the sound of banging gavels to guide your way. You thought I couldn't see through the red tape here, and spot the obvious attempt to play judge, jury and -- guess what? Lawyer to my flawless character.

Well Guess Again, oh Tracked one, because I'm onto you and your kind now. Soon (SOON!) we will all be after you and your ilk with the finer legal points that cause you shame. I'll make you file for appeal yet, just you watch. I have a big file on your exploits -- tons of old IBM punch-cards with RPG and JCL-laden evidence. No problems of hanging chads here -- all of the bits add up, and they point to a guilty DinoTrac.

Then -- THEN -- we'll see what kind of petty, judgemental crap you can dish out from the tiny, cubicle-sized jail cell they throw you and your kind into. Until then, know that I've got my blind eyes of justice trained upon you.

--FeriCyde
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2005
4:59 PM EDT
Paulie --

Lawyer to your flawless character?

I just can't imagine there's a lot of business there...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!