$50M vs. $5M

Story: Red Hat looks under Linux's hoodTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Nov 01, 2005
10:54 AM EDT
The IT office of Massachusetts said they did a quick study to determine the approx. cost of going with Office 12 (which will run only on Vista, says MS) and the various applications which already support ODF.

The MS-Office-12 migration would be at least $50M, since it will require upgrading all software, some hardware, etc.

To outfit and train every state employee with OpenOffice: $5M Max. No OS upgrades, no license fees, just training and compliance checking.

The audio recording of that Massachusetts meeting is 2 hours long, but it doesn't drag. Microsoft comes off as a complete idiot.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2005
5:01 PM EDT
Bob, Bob, Bob...

It's easy to look at $5,000,000 and think that it's less than $50,000,000, but that ain't necessarily so.

Say, for example, you were using Excel...
jimf

Nov 01, 2005
5:48 PM EDT
Gee Dino,

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn if I tell you that Bob and I will be be happy to each give you our $5000 for your $100000. Heck, I'll even throw in a bootleg copy of Excel.. :)
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2005
1:49 AM EDT
jimf -

If we're talking personal checks here, I'm pretty sure that your $5,000 is worth a whole lot more than my $100,000!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!