Marxism vindicated ;-)

Story: Comment of the Day - November 2, 2005 Why People Switch to LXerTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
mvermeer

Nov 02, 2005
6:19 AM EDT
This comment illustrates that Karl Marx, and dialectic materialism, were right about one thing: peoples' material circumstances help define -- and change -- their political thinking.

Same happened with me. Originally I tried Linux out of technical interest, but it has really affected my political thinking. Radicalized. I'm still no marxist, but Linux is like a peephole exposing everything (well, not everything, but lots) that's wrong with society.
number6x

Nov 02, 2005
7:25 AM EDT
Wouldn't open source, its embrace of consensus building, distributed development, and advancement through competitition be more Democratic than Marxist?

Marx put all of the peoples eggs in one basket, kind of like a monopoly does.

I never associated Linux and open source with Marxism, to me they seem almost diametrically opposed.
dinotrac

Nov 02, 2005
7:33 AM EDT
6x -

Marxism is not, in theory, incompatible with Democracy. In theory, by preventing capital concentration, it protects the rights of everyman.

It need not equal authoritarian repression, but it turns out to work that way as the side effect of transferring so much economic power away from individuals to the state (the people if you really believe that govt=the people).

Something about absolute power and all that.

number6x

Nov 02, 2005
7:44 AM EDT
dino,

I was thinking more about Marxist political philosophy, and the placement of the 'party' above all government branches. In an ideal world this could work, but in an ideal world this change would not be needed because the world would already be ideal.

In the real world, concentration of capitol, or concentration of political power, usually results in corruption. Swapping one with the other does not result in a better system.

tadelste

Nov 02, 2005
7:57 AM EDT
I like the part about the bourgeoisie was going to sell us the rope used to hang it.

I've seen it said many ways like: The capitalist is selling himself the rope to hang him

I always thought that was the outside the essence of the idea which seemed like a refocus on money as the medium exchange and not a commodity to create land barons. I guess some land barons are necessary.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!